Making of Monkey Island

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Making of Monkey Island

Post by cowsmanaut »

I think I know of at least one person interested in this video. 1hr 22 mins long. (also, hello from a long lost individual.. me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqEneDNQto

(me = two jobs[University teaching, and working for Mohawk Games], Masters degree [illustration], and home schooling during this wonderful covid thing. So, not a lot of free time. Just in case anyone wondered)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Making of Monkey Island

Post by Ameena »

Hey, Moo Man, welcome back - don't think I've seen you here in aaages :D.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

"back" is a big word.. but I'll try to poke my head in more often.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Cowsmanaut said, "..."back" is a big word.. but I'll try to poke my head in more often."

Where are my nitro pills???

Beo and Now Cows???

So pleased to see you guys poke your heads in, even if it's occasionally.

Hope life has been good, Cows. How is everyone doing at home?
"Wuuf's big brother"
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

ok, everyone get the ropes and Mophus, so he can tie them both here!

(sorry, cowsmanaut, think we haven't been properly introduced, I like your DM-Art, though. It is being mentioned within the threads from time to time, so I saw some of it by now.)
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

RE: Making of Monkey Island.

I had not heard of Monkey Island before Cowsmanaut mentioned it here.
Was it a very popular game? I looked at some videos and watched some of the 'making' of it, as well.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

:o
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

:o too
Monkey Island is to adventure games what Dungeon Master is to RPG. Not the first, not the best but a turning point, an excellent balance of ingredients that make it an unforgettable landmark.
Stop reading this and play it now!
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

Christophe is right, take a Grog-O-Mint and head over to the ScummBar to apply to become a mighty pirate. Commandeer a graceful ship with a trustworthy crew, hoard riches like never before, meet the love of your life and become the King of Monkey Island (not all of the aforementioned guaranteed to happen)
Also be prepared to bring many pieces 'o eight so you can bribe people left and right.

You can run the game files with the open source program ScummVM and the game files you can get at...wait..is that a three headed monkey behind you?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Saumun wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:19 pm:o
So, only now, do I realize that my entire life has been nothing but a huge WASTE! :oops:
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

ChristopheF wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:24 pm :o too
Monkey Island is to adventure games what Dungeon Master is to RPG. Not the first, not the best but a turning point, an excellent balance of ingredients that make it an unforgettable landmark.
Stop reading this and play it now!
:o three.

I'm really scratching my head. Cows comes back for one day...and possibly changes my plans for what to play into utter CHAOS. :?

Wish Jan were here, so he could help me with my development of a truly piratical (is that a proper word?) ARRRRR! :lol:
"Wuuf's big brother"
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

I recommend that you get the modernized (albeit ugly..according to some people..including me) version for instance a gog.com here and patch it like it is desribed here: Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie Edition. Then you are good to go.

This way you'll get the original graphics with the great talkie dialogues.

Also if you encounter Jan he might say that you fight like a cow. But you might be prepared for this soon..or not..depends on your fighting skills.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

The Journeyman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:14 pm Christophe is right, take a Grog-O-Mint and head over to the ScummBar to apply to become a mighty pirate. Commandeer a graceful ship with a trustworthy crew, hoard riches like never before, meet the love of your life and become the King of Monkey Island (not all of the aforementioned guaranteed to happen)
Also be prepared to bring many pieces 'o eight so you can bribe people left and right.

You can run the game files with the open source program ScummVM and the game files you can get at...wait..is that a three headed monkey behind you?
I downloaded the ScummVM 32 and 64 bit file. Looked over some of the games too (screenshots).
Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore. What a fun peek back into my gaming past.

Thanks for the information. I'll try figuring it out. If I run into much trouble, I'll be begging you for help.
"Wuuf's big brother"
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

do not beg in front of a mighty pirate or prepare to meet your doom.

on another note: maybe you can tell us about your progress inside the game..we could be your help line. Just call 1-800-DUNJNMASTA
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

You may buy the Special Edition which has much improved graphics and sound while being faithful to the original (and you can switch at any time during gameplay between old / new graphics !)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3236 ... l_Edition/
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

while it's true that you can instantly switch to the old graphics in the Special Edition, sadly the speech will also stop while being in the old mode. That's why I was referring to the Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie Edition. It's a fan made patch that merges the best of both worlds.
In order for this to work you still need to get the Monkey Island Special Edition from gog.com or steam (or anyplace else), though.
I usually prefer gog.com because it supplies you with offline installers while steam forces you to always have an app running in the background.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I wouldn't want a spoken-dialogue version of Monkey Island. I prefer imagining how the characters sound in my head. I don't know if the third game had spoken dialogue as I never played that one but I played the fourth and I found Guybrush's voice kind of annoying. And Elaine's.
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Ameena said, "I wouldn't want a spoken-dialogue version of Monkey Island.

I prefer imagining how the characters sound in my head.

I don't know if the third game had spoken dialogue as I never played that one but I played the fourth and I found Guybrush's voice kind of annoying. And Elaine's."

So, you admit to actually WANTING to hear voices in your head??? :o

Take the meds, Ameena, take...the...meds. Don't trust any voices in your head. Take this advice from someone who KNOWS. :twisted:

Seriously, I do know what you mean about voices in games. When they don't sound the way you expect them to sound; bad experience.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, it's like when they make a film or TV series of a book you've read and no-one looks or sounds the way you imagined them. I tend to prefer my own "versions" because it's like I made them based on what I read, rather than just taking what someone else made instead.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Probably a bad time for me to confess I've never played Monkey Island, or indeed any of that style of game...!
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

it is indeed. Mods....ban him! Wait a second...how far along did you say you were with that graphic replacement project?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I went out and got it on steam for super cheap after posting this.. there are a few of them I had not played. So I can go back to enjoy them. I've only played monkey island 2.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wow, you never played the original? Well, you should probably get on that :D. I downloaded it a while back to play on STEEM (the Atari emulator) but haven't got round to it yet. I've still got the physical pirate-wheel thing that was for the copy protection (it's not the only game where I have such a thing), as well :D.