Definitive spelling?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Definitive spelling?

Post by Gambit37 »

As far as I can tell, all the manuals describe the fifth power rune as "PA", but in the quick rune reference it's labelled "PAL". In game, it's always referred to as "PAL" also. Which is correct?

Which is the correct spelling for the wizard rune, is it DANE or DAIN? I have seen it used both ways.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Re: Definitive spelling?

Post by jayrshaw »

I had always assumed "PAL" and "DANE" were the correct spellings, but I could be wrong. I know that Wisdom potions are called DANE potions in the SNES version of the game I had been playing. I guess I had just assumed the fifth rune is called PAL instead of PA because that's the way I saw it spelled in Christophe's Dungeon Master Encyclopedia. Now that I'm looking there, I see that he spells the rune as "DAIN" but the Wisdom potion, itself, as "DANE"...

--Jay
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I never noticed the variation. I would have sworn that it was PAL and DAIN consistently throughout!

If I had to decide on what counts as definitive, I would say whatever appears in-game should be taken above whatever appears in manuals.

DAIN appears on all relevant scrolls (?) in-game, so it seems fair to take that as the name of the wizard symbol.

PA/PAL does not appear in-game though, so perhaps we should class them as acceptable variants. Middle English had a huge amount of variation in spelling, so I don't think it is unreasonable that the people of the DM world would also lack standardization.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

It is PAL and DANE in the IIGS manual. I thought the manual that came with the IIGS version was generic, only the getting started guide (or whatever it was called, most games called it that as it was standard to have one generic manual and a "Getting Started" or "Quick reference" guide for specific platforms, although just as often they would have sections for all platforms) differed.
Maybe the scans you are referencing are worn and the ink has faded or come off?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I had no doubt, with PAL and DAIN...
Until, now !
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

PAL and DAIN are correct. I have just asked the Grey Lord.
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I was not aware of the Pal/Pa thing, but I have always wondered why it is “Dane” for wisdom potions and “Dain” for everything else.

Edit: I just noticed Jay already mentioned the potion thing. :o
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Interesting, i just looked it up. On page 22 it does indeed say "PA" while on page 26 it says "PAL". Also the game and everywhere else says "PAL", so I assume it was a typo on page 22.
I mostly referenced page 26. It seems my copy (came with the IIGS version that did NOT work with the ROM 3 Apple IIGS, a later version DID) is identical to what is found here:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/412
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've only ever known it as Pal and Dain - I'm sure the latter is written as such at the Junction in CSB...