Damn this game is addictive

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Winnfield
Novice

Damn this game is addictive

Post by Winnfield »

Hi All,

Haven't been on here in a few years, thought I would drop back in and see whats been happening. I love this game ever since the first time I played it back in 1989 I believe. Probably every 6 to 8 months I have to play it, even if it is just for a few hours! I have played a bunch of the other crawler games and some are pretty good(I really liked Grim Rock1 & 2) but I don't find myself pulling any of them out like I keep doing with DM. I am so glad people are keeping this game alive and growing on it, thanks to everyone for this!
"And you will know my name is the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
slickrcbd
Adept

Re: Damn this game is addictive

Post by slickrcbd »

The real question is, why didn't I get as addicted to games like Eye of the Beholder or Menzoberranzan the way I got addicted to DM?
Why do I keep coming back to DM when I think I only finished Menzoberrazan once?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've never even heard of Menzoberrazan :D. But yeah, it seems there is something about DM that keeps people coming back to it, even after all this time. And not just come back to it, but in some cases expand on it by creating their own custom content and stuff. Imagine if DM was a game on, say, Steam and had Steam Workshop stuff - if people got into it there'd probably be even more :D.

Post by slickrcbd »

DM would be more likely to be on GOG.com than Steam. It kinda predates the internet or at least the World Wide Web.
Speaking of the Apple IIGS version, due to the copy protection it was fairly hard to crack and mod for the time due to the need to play with the original disk. I did not find a cracked version until the mid 1990's and downloaded it at school.
That is part of the reason why we didn't have as many mods. I don't know about the other platforms however. Then again, unless you had AOL, GEnie or CompuServ there wasn't a lot of publicly circulated mods at the time. There was a lot of potential in Adventure Construction Set, and Arkanoid II with their built-in level editing, along with a shareware game called "Explorer", but they kinda flopped due to a lack of an internet. I know a few Explorer adventures were written and circulated on AOL that were made public when AOL transferred their library to the Ground FTP site after they dropped the Apple II in the mid to late '90s to transition to a proper ISP instead of a mere gateway/portal, and there were some Arkanoid levels available from Big Red and Christella as well, but mostly people didn't know where to find them.

As for Menzoberrazan, I never heard of it until somebody gave me "The Forgotten Realms Silver Edition" because they could not get it to work on Windows 9X and their MS-DOS machine had kicked the bucket. (You needed to use MS-DOS mode, and then it was too fast for modern computers. I wouldn't be able to use it until DOSBox came out). It was included, along with Eye of the Beholder trilogy. I just checked and it can be found on GOG, although I did not enjoy it as much.
https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_real ... tion_three
Winnfield
Novice

Post by Winnfield »

Ameena wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:55 am I've never even heard of Menzoberrazan :D. But yeah, it seems there is something about DM that keeps people coming back to it, even after all this time. And not just come back to it, but in some cases expand on it by creating their own custom content and stuff. Imagine if DM was a game on, say, Steam and had Steam Workshop stuff - if people got into it there'd probably be even more :D.
I did see this on STEAM : Super Dungeon Master Ace RPG, I downloaded it the other day but haven't had a chance to check it out. Looks like a mixed DM crawler with a top down view.
Winnfield
Novice

Post by Winnfield »

slickrcbd wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:36 am The real question is, why didn't I get as addicted to games like Eye of the Beholder or Menzoberranzan the way I got addicted to DM?
Why do I keep coming back to DM when I think I only finished Menzoberrazan once?
Yeah I have Menzoberranzan on GOG and I played it for awhile but never even finished it. It was okay, maybe some day I will have another go at it :D
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Winnfield wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:23 pm I did see this on STEAM : Super Dungeon Master Ace RPG, I downloaded it the other day but haven't had a chance to check it out. Looks like a mixed DM crawler with a top down view.
I meant to have a go at this, but never got around to it. This has just reminded me about it, so maybe time to give it a go. I think this is Boyflea’s creation (he’s a member of this forum).
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Eh, they re-released Chaos Engine on Steam (with higher-definition graphics but apart from that, as far as I could tell from the trailer, it was otherwise the same game), and that was also an Atari game (Bitmap Brothers). I wasn't really being serious anyway - I don't expect DM would come out on Steam. But who knows? :D