CSB in 6 minutes and 40 seconds

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

CSB in 6 minutes and 40 seconds

Post by Antman »

I made a recording of CSB in 6 minutes and 40 seconds. Similar to rain''s 9 minute recording but instead of one save I used around ten. The saves are so I could get the right result with the gigglers for the boots of speed and take maximum risks so it's not a legitimate Race to the Ful Ya Pit entry. Still, CSB in under 7 minutes is interesting.

You can get it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gARq29 ... sp=sharing. Open csbwin.exe, select Dungeon then select Playback from the Misc menu.

I did things in a slightly different order to rain', doing Ku first could save some small amount of time but needs extreme luck with the gigglers to get the onyx key or lock picks and have the boots of speed appear and have that happen fast enough. I also saved time by skipping a bunch of the dain coatl room, not needing any ven/ful potions and freeze life boxes, skipping the cross key and using the teleporter in the final room at the end.

I also note that only 3 monsters were killed (7 if you include the 4 black flames killed when throwing the corbums), which I think is the absolute minimum.

I hope you enjoy it! And let me know if you can think of any improvements :)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: CSB in 6 minutes and 40 seconds

Post by Paul Stevens »

Wow. There were about three or four spots where I said "How
did he do that?" I'll have to play it a few more times to see what
happened. Pretty clever. I was surprised to see you take the
'KU' exit from DDD. I didn't think that you could get through there
that fast.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Yes I tossed up between Ku and Ros. Ros you have to do quite a bit of effort to get passed the mummies and scorpions to get the green gem, and you have to kill a strong demon in 'zoom' area of the DDD. Although if you're luck enough to the lockpicks from a giggler at 06(19,04) you can escape the green gem room much faster. With Ku getting the solid key is so quick with the downside of having to run the long corridors at the 'Dead End' section. Ku also finishes in a very handy spot on the top level. I think Ku is comfortable faster in the end.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Total respect!!! :o :shock: :? 8) :lol:

I usually take the "every nook & cranny" - approach, myself.

But you´re something else...
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Antman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:32 pm I made a recording of CSB in 6 minutes and 40 seconds. Similar to rain''s 9 minute recording but instead of one save I used around ten. The saves are so I could get the right result with the gigglers for the boots of speed and take maximum risks so it's not a legitimate Race to the Ful Ya Pit entry. Still, CSB in under 7 minutes is interesting.

You can get it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gARq29 ... sp=sharing. Open csbwin.exe, select Dungeon then select Playback from the Misc menu.

I was unable to find csbwin.exe. The exe file has a number in it.

I noticed there is a 'sign in' at the right-top.
Do I need to sign in to something to be able to watch this?

Under seven minutes is still staggering. I had never heard of a speedrun, when I first played Dungeon Master on my Atari ST (probably 1987/1988).
I remember deciding to see if I could finish DM in one setting. I'm sure I did everything, hoarding needless stuff, etc.

I believe it took 14-hours.
Anyone impressed???? :o :shock: :roll: :lol:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I am impressed!! 14 hours in one go is quite the effort!

I didn't realize Google drive shows you the contents of the .7z file. You should be able to click the download button and extract it on your computer to run it https://imgur.com/StIbLWq. You're right my original instructions were incorrect, it should say 'Open CSBWin17_6.exe, ...'. Let me know if it's not working.

I actually made some DM and CSB full recordings too, collecting all the items and cleaning out all the monsters using the 'items remaining' feature of CSBWin. You can get the recordings here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xXtA93 ... sp=sharing, be warned they're much longer!! Note there's a an option in Misc -> Quickplay to watch them greatly sped up.