DM2 for Windows: skwin / skwinspx / skproject status

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Suule
On Master

Re: DM2 for Windows: skwin / skwinspx / skproject status

Post by Suule »

I need to give it a whirl sometimes. I've been introducing more people to dungeon crawlers these days and the people I've shown DM2 to are fairly interested in trying it out.

Also hi! I'm still alive
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Suule wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25 pm I need to give it a whirl sometimes. I've been introducing more people to dungeon crawlers these days and the people I've shown DM2 to are fairly interested in trying it out.

Also hi! I'm still alive
Good to hear from you. Glad you're still alive. Otherwise??? Guess we might 'never' have heard from you. Ha (not all that funny).
Hope you get the time to start/finish your project.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Saw Dungeon Master 2: Skullkeep, still in box and in the plastic cover (floppy 3.5 disc version), on ebay the other day.
It went, along with two other older games, for over $150.00 (I think). It may have been $180.00, but I deleted it without writing down the number.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Some update about this, things do not progress very fast, but I am in the process to clean up stuff I have so far to get a more consistent release. Currently I am working on Bit's version to provide skwindos exe along (then PC-DOS version along the PC-9821). I have a pseudo-assembly code that works great so far (not tested much ingame, probably the 0.39 version Bit talked about) but I would say that no code modification is possible on this one; and I got a C-ish version resembling skwin (0.4 I guess?) whose conversion seemed incomplete to me (and crashing) but allows a real better understanding of DM2 code. My current objective is to get this version to work, then after we could build a new release of skwin project.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I'm still here Sphenx, at least now and then, but I also still have a big problem when trying to compile my old version with modern MSVC.
It has something to do with the FILE struct. Old WATCOM stuff used that, especially the member _handle, for which I made an array to work with more open files. But - this FILE struct doesn't exist anymore! Perhaps you got a solution for it. Should describe it more in detail. Will try it again and give you results.
I also have to take a look again into my all-in-one DM1/CSB-version. There it seems I made an unfinished version that uses Allegro's fileselector to enhance the loading sequence and also a modification for quit/reload. That's annoying, because I could play both games completely without any bug.
In DM2 testing stopped with the wolves, so, pretty early - but that worked without problems too!

greetings
Bit
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Great you're here! I've managed to compile it with an old MSVC -- I'm not too keen to download GBs of IDE for compiling our works that every couple years something seems obsolete and doesn't work .. anyway that would be great if you could point me to your latest DM2 code because I had mixed results compiling the one I have and was doubting if it was because I used an old code or messed stuff with the compiler.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I will check it, but I believe the latest one was this one that I did put into Dropbox and the compiler was MSVC 9.0. I don't remember if i placed the project files too, so even if you used the same compiler, it may be because of the one or other compiler switch. but i never had gamefiles loading problems. Haven't used Dropbox now for a long time now, so even have to check if i find password etc. ;)
What I remember is, that I tried to replace anonymous function names with yours. Unfortunately a lot of things disturbed the work at that time and you seemed to have other things to do too.
After all, i'd like to make the things halfways running for todays compilers too. Think I did that all with the Allegro library, which then made a big break for modern systems. Those things should be replaced with the windows standard libraries too - if possible.
(With all those projects, I hope I don't disturb you if I got the old question: do you still make your wonderful music? On my new computer i have to install those Cakewalk things, got hundreds of VST instruments... My now pretty old synths have all problems with the keyboards, but electronic is fine and i got a modern midi-usb-interface. I want to bring back thsi hobby alive again too.)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Thanks for the codes Bit; I will check that quickly :)
I was already able to unify some static defines between skwin code and yours. I used MSVC 2008 Express and compiled successfully (I talk about the older one , not 3.93 nor 4.00 yet) but somehow allegro was not initializing its display as expected. I don't know why; although I successfully compiled it with MSVC 6 with allegro running correctly (but then many issues with the code, mainly signed vs unsigned variables).

About the music, well thank you. I have some few I would like to finish this year. I am rather happy with all possibilities with VST, have to build nice sounds/instruments then play with them; I am often inspired by sounds themselves then build melodies with them.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Don't forget that some structures are different, one of them is about gdat. In the 2021-versions there is a notes-folder with some hints about it. We do have a real problem there, as we have with the FILE struct for the MSVC 2019. I hope that you can make it soon to the point that we can care for this. I'm a bit helpless there. Wonder about the display initialisation. We just get a fix-size small window. It's probably possible to extend that by some zoom-function. Then again, I'd really would like to remove Allegro completely and use the direct-x-things. Old Allegro is for MIDI only. This isn't supported by DX. Probably we have to keep that. However, I have no idea how much bugs lurk in the dark. Perhaps we need someone who tries a quick walkthrough to make a lot of gamefiles. Next I have to check that discord-thingy. If you use whatsapp, i gladly would give my number to you. That's what I check daily and I got a tablet next to the laptop. I have absolutely no idea how to use the shared working possibilities of the MSVC-community-version. And to be honest - I hate to dig into new things nowadays ;)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

By the way. It's a big fun to read those old fellows again. Had a good laughter with Sophia's yearly April's fool-thread.
Congrats to all that made the 20 years full this month :) (i.e. Paul Stevens)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Well that's not bad. I started with 4.00, compiled it with MSVC 2008 Express and was able to produce a working release exe. Had more trouble with the debug version, maybe because I was compiling from an XP VM (I need VM to get some clean MSVC compilation environment). I also tried back to compile for MSVC6, which I succeeded, but the result does not seem to work. It starts, but the title screen is not displayed. I guess there is some struct-length/pointer mess somewhere. I would need to stabilize an environment where I can get a proper debug and release (probably Win7 + MSVC 2008).

For reference, I generated a package containing current SkWin (PC-9821) along SkWinDOS/Skull (PC-DOS) there http://dmbuilder.sphenxmusics.fr/skwin/SkWinCurrent.zip (this does not contain source).
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Those are weird problems. My debug-version works well - for that I get just a black window with scroll bar with skwin.exe

The logfile looks like:
DEBUG_DISPLAY_GDAT_MAIN_INFO
#Items: 9012
ShelfMemTab: 0000 => Val = 80000000 [1] (00000)
ShelfMemTab: 0001 => Val = 000927B8 [0] (599992)
ShelfMemTab: 0002 => Val = 80000049 [1] (00073)
ShelfMemTab: 0003 => Val = 021F3156 [0] (35598678)
#254) < Unknown>
Hit Points: 54280
Armor: 9
Defense: 162
Attack Strength: 9
Can do melee attack.
Can shoot items.

Editing the ini-file doesn't change anything, except for a shorter logfile.
Perhaps someone else can check yours also.
For more details we should use the PM, so that people just get good results here.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Weird for skwin.exe I didn't check it for a while, it appears to be a problem with the ini where framex and framey are -32000. Just set 0 and it should be fine (I've generated the zip again).
About my issue with skull, it appears to be related with my dev env XP + MSVC9 which allegro 5 does not like. As said, I need to build another VM for that.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

About the different exe (such as SKWin.Release_EN_JP.exe, SKWin.Release_JP_JP.exe, SKWin.Extended.Super.exe, etc ...) I am working on it a way to have the differences selectable from options. Hence, the EN/JP versions can be choosen by language and graphics.dat version selector. The extended mode can be always on as the whole project is still experimental, I think there is currently no real need to change it. And the "super" mode can be selected as an option.
Then there will be only one skwin.exe after that.
I would be able to make a new proper release soon.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Before we change anything to ogg in newer versions, I really suggest people to get and try the Coolsoft-MIDI-things for Windows 10.
With that you get a MIDI-solution for Windows 10. Link is here: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en
The VirtualMidiSynth is needed and the MidiMapper. Add some soundfonts and you can get some really better results than with the internal Windows Wavetable Synth (which can be chosen too). Really nice soundfonts available - I love the Roland and the Yamaha. All for free.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I approve VirtualMidiSynth as I use it !
However, ogg handling is added (not replacing), and switchable to allow either midi (which anyway comes from converted HMP) or "custom" musics which I used as a way to have Amiga music instead of PC-DOS music. It was the easier way to do it, as these Amiga modules are not standard.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Little update here, I have now successfully compiled DMDC2 (the map editor). I then should be not far from building a full proper release.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Christophe : I have finally built a full zip of SKProject with the latest versions of each tool.
I have changed the installer and made simplifications for Skwin : there is now only one exe.
You can find the installer here : SKProject
If everything is OK, I will push it on GitHub.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Great! Many thanks for your continued work.

Here is some feedback:

SKWIN
- Can you provide a description of "Super" mode for players in a readme somewhere? (Nothing happens when you check the box, you need to restart the game to see your champions with boosted skills)
- Batch files contain "cd skwin" command, but there is no skwin folder (causes no other issue than an error message in the shell window)
- I can't get any sound or music on my PC (Windows 10), no matter which sound options I select in the menu (sound works fine in skullwin)
- PC Beta version: when I quit the game, the credits screen is displayed in a wrong way (don't know whether it is an issue of the beta itself or skwin)

SKULLWIN
- Batch files contain "cd skullwin" command, but there is no skwin folder (causes no other issue than an error message in the shell window)
- "Skull (2013) V5 English (PCDOS).bat" contains a "cp" command line that fails (not recognized on Windows 10)

DM2GDED
- Why are there 4 revisions 9, 10, 11 12 in the package? Is the last one not enough, are there features in older versions that are missing in the last one?
- Can you implement type 'D' command as described in IMG1/IMG2 http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/220#toc90 ?
It is used only in items 1788, 1789, 1790 (Wall ornate #55h) and 2142, 2143, 2144 (Wall ornate #41h) of DM2 for FM-Towns GRAPHICS.DAT
Currently these 6 images are not displayed at all in DM2GDED.

SETUP
- I would prefer an archive containing ready to use programs without the need to run a setup. But if you prefer it that way, that is fine.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Thanks for the feedback
- "Super" mode (as all options in "extra") does not need restart and affects the champion stats when he/she is revived. I will add some notes about these options, mainly for test/debug purpose.
- About the "cd" command, ok I will remove them because I took the batches from a place where they were one directory above skwin and skullwin.
- PC Beta version: good catch! this is a side effect of my auto-generating graphics.dat program. This encoding does not (yet) compress images then when they are too big (like fullscreen), the original buffer before decompress does not hold the complete image (I think this is what happens). For making a possible Beta version for Skwin (or Skullwin) I created new graphics.dat to be compatible with "V4" or "V5". I have not fully completed that job. Even for the Beta dungeon, some actuators are not working (I would need to adapt code), but that's a longer process.
Also, in the multilang graphics.dat version, there are some color-issues with the interface, again because of the encoding (I could do it manually through DM2GDED to fix that, but as I regenerate a lot full graphics.dat, that would be lost. I would need to fix my tool first so that the encoding works properly).
- "cp" command, oops, because I have "GOW" (GNU On Windows) installed to have standard Linux commands usable in Windows console. I will change that.

DM2GDED: yes there are some differences, so I prefer to keep the older versions as references; I'm not always sure the more recent is the better.
=> For example, how really are the keep tileset in the PC-9801/FM-Towns version ? greenish or not ? I never had the real game playing to confirm some colors.
- type "D", yes I know, it is in the todo list.

SETUP
- I totally can provide a full archive along. The installer was setup initially by Kentaro and I needed to update it anyway.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks for these clarifications.

About super mode: if I start a new game and then check "super mode", I still see Torham default skill levels. I have to restart a new game to see master levels in each skill. Am I doing something wrong?

Also about the setup, I tried to uninstall: it does not remove desktop icons (and I also don't like setups that put icons there in the first place without asking me first). It also leaves behind the readme text files in the installation folder.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

You start skwin, you are in the title screen, there you select "super mode", then you start a "new" game. That way Torham will have the super stats.

About the uninstall, I will check better to be sure everything is removed. For information it uses Nullsoft Scriptable Install System and never played with it before, your feedback is important for me to get this right. For desktop icons, I'll probably add a checkbox for it.
Again, as said, I will also provide an archive with no installer so there will not be any such problem.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I have updated the packages. The installer and a full archive (no install).
The cd/cp commands in batches are fixed.
The installer no longer install shortcuts.
There is a new text to explain better about the options.
The uninstaller removes all txt files.
Graphics command "D" still not implemented.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thanks a lot Sphenx.

Now I understand the 'super mode' better.

I still can't get any sound output from skwin, is it only me? Did someone else try to play with it?
That's strange:
With option 'Windows Multimedia', I get not sound and skwin is not listed in the 'volume mixer'.
With option 'DirectSound' or 'OpenAL', skwin appears in the Windows 'Volume Mixer' but with volume set to 0. If I move it to 100%, I get sound output for about 1 second then it goes back to volume 0 all by itself.
Any clue?

And if you let me continue to nitpick:
File "skproject_20210703\SKULLWIN\Skull (2013) V5 English (PCDOS).bat" contains this line:
COPY Data/GRAPHICS_PCDOS_V5.dat Data/GRAPHICS.DAT
However the file GRAPHICS_PCDOS_V5.dat does not exist, and the game seems to run fine without it so this line may be removed altogether?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Christophe: I downloaded the archive. The sound behaves exactly as you describe.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I will try different systems about the sound issue; I have no issue on the machine used to compile SkWin, and I am not even sure myself about all these options are about sound. I will check more and document about this.

About the Skull (2013), I would rather put back GRAPHICS_PCDOS_V5 if it is missing but I guess the current GRAPHICS.dat is already the same.
Let me tell you the idea : Skull (2013) is the pseudo-assembly version of DM2 recompiled that does not allow any custom aspect and works with the original graphics.dat (which I named GRAPHICS_PCDOS_V5); the latest version of code is C-ish version where we can make code modifications then it will work with custom GRAPHICS.dat (enhanced from GRAPHICS_PCDOS_V5). The COPY command was here to control the different GRAPHICS.dat versions for different Skull.exe (not to mention the Beta version where some assets have different ID from retail version).
Again, thanks very much to Bit for these Skull codes !

Please let me know any point that is not working correctly, it will help me to improve the overall package of SkWin.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

In fact my version is really not tested very deeply. Basic outdoor and movement things, the merchant, a few battle things. in each detail there was something where i had to fix the one or other thing. Checking deeper our _FILE-problem, we will be probably even victims of the copy-protection. I have no idea when those mechanics do their work. And finally i'm scared about the minions... So far I tested they did not appear. Last test was near the wolves. So after all, that version is for relaxed testers only...

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”