Is there a champion team cannon or head cannon of yours?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Koopaink
Neophyte

Is there a champion team cannon or head cannon of yours?

Post by Koopaink »

Been wondering about this, as the original Manual had that short intro story of the deaths of Nabi, Alex, Halk, and Syra.

I was introduced to dungeon master on the Atari ST as a very late hand me down in February of 97, and it was pre loved. The game floppy was in mint condition and it came packaged with the original box, manual therein and a bootleg Dungeon Master playing guide and map booklet. I was the only nerd in my class that even knew about the game except for a language arts teacher who told me a few secrets not even in the guide so that was cool.

I've always wondered what champions would have gone in to mount doom together.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Re: Is there a champion team cannon or head cannon of yours?

Post by m1ckey »

You mean which champion(s) do we choose?

After the very first time I´ve always ran solo.
Reincarnated Gothmog (renamed) is usually my GO-TO guy. Decent Mana at the start and W/ some training he´s a real killer by level 8 or so.

The dark Darth-Vader:ish appeariance is also a PLUS.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I always thought Gothmog was the coolest looking champion too.

That said, simply because of the manual, I thought the Halk, Syria, Nabi, and Alex party was the "canon" one. Not necessarily that great a party, but not the worst one out there.
I found Tiggy, Gando, Wu Tse, and Chani to be one of the hardest. It was too easy to 1-hit-KO a champion, they couldn't carry much (and I'm a pack-rat), and the only redeeming feature was that most had decent mana, especially Tiggy.

My favorites were the strongest champions, Halk, Stamn, Daroou and Hississsa. Although Halk Stamn Sonja and Leela (lowest mana) was a pretty fun party. Sonja and Leela aren't wimps in carrying capacity, and they can be trained up to be decent spellcasters far better than you can train up Boris or Wuuf's carrying capacity.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah - I kind of think of the four characters whose story is described in the manual as the actual "canon" characters, although the manual implies that the other characters in the Hall of Champions also had similar experiences of their own in the dungeon prior to being killed/trapped by Chaos. Personally, I think the animal-race characters and Gothmog look the coolest out of the characters, but I generally tend to actually use the characters who have the highest Strength....

--Jay
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I like the more monstery-looking guys as well just 'cause they look more interesting. It's been a while now since I bothered taking a full team of four through the dungeon - these days I tend to go with the duo of (reincarnated) Hissssa and Wuuf :D.

Post by slickrcbd »

I thought Wuuf was the second coolest looking, but Wuuf is weak and easy to get 1-hit KO and not just by an errant couatl, but by mummies, trollins, pain rats, and magenta worms.
I almost never use Chani, Boris, Wu Tsu, Gando, Tiggy, or Wuuf for that reason, although I knew somebody that loved Chani, Boris, and Wuuf (and had a hard time picking between Idaho, Hawk and Gothmog for the fourth slot).
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I know this is about canon in the manual, but I generally go with Hissssa solo. If I'm going with two, it's usually Hissssa and Halk (though Stamm is probably the better "zero mana" champion... it's a nostalgia thing). If I'm going with more, it's Hissssa, Halk, Gothmog, and A.N. other.
Given how many times i've played DM over the years, there are a surprising number of champions I have never used. I did a Tiggy solo run for my own personal satisfaction, but I have never played with the majority of them.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wuuf is cool because he's a cute doggy but also 'cause he starts with a flask, which is handy. I haven't found him particularly squishy - I believe Tiggy is the physically weakest of all the characters but I don't think I've ever used her. But any of them can be great for all roles if you level them up a bit so even the squishy ones will be not so squishy after a bit, just as the ones with zero mana can be uber spellcasters by the end.

Post by slickrcbd »

I found that the squishy ones stay squishy as the foes tend to just get stronger. Wuuf and Tiggy can still be 1-hit-KO by pain rats at LO Master or better everything with wizard being UM master or better.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Huh, weird. Which version are you playing? RTC? The damage numbers there are a bit off in that they're kind of high - I get one-shot by Beholders there quite a lot so I switched to CSBWin which is the same Atari version I used to play anyway :D. I'm pretty sure I don't get one-shot by things like rats, although I don't think they manage to hit me too often in the first place.

Post by m1ckey »

Well...

There's always THAT guy...