Playing DM for the first time

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RogerS
Craftsman

Playing DM for the first time

Post by RogerS »

Hi,

I recently started playing Dungeon Master for the first time.

I've played the Eye of the Beholder series, having finished EOB1 multiple times and also EOB2 a couple of times. I've never finished EOB3.

I've also briefly tried Black Crypt and Knightmare in the past.

I recently started playing the EOB series again. After discovering the fun of spiritual hammers in EOB3, I decided to make a party of two paladins in the front and two multiclass cleric/mages in the back with the intention of playing through the whole series with that party, and pick up Rex and Father Jon in EOB3 to allow the enemies to experience the joy of 12 spiritual hammers to the face simultaneously :lol: I got to the stairs leading up to the Crimson Tower in EOB2 before for some reason I lost interest in continuing for now.

I then decided I wanted to give Dungeon Master a go, since I had never played that one.

I first tried the DOS version, then had a go at RTC before finally settling on CSBWin.

I've just finished level 11, and went down to 12,33,31 and did some grinding on the black flame there. My rear characters went from artisan to expert in fighter and ninja, and Elija also went from adept to expert wizard. My front line characters went from adept to expert ninjas. All four characters were already Um master priests. I don't intend to do any more grinding.

Here are the screenshots of my characters.

By the way, I also made an AutoHotkey script for CSBWin. I posted about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=31396
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Playing DM for the first time

Post by Ameena »

Heya, cool, welcome to the forum and to the game :). Will you be taking your party through into CSB when you're done with DM? If you do, good luck, and don't feel bad if you repeatedly get lost and die a lot because we've all been there :D.

Post by RogerS »

Thank you Ameena :)

I will probably take these characters into CSB as well when I'm done with DM, unless I start DM over again with a different party first.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Sounds cool :). Let us know howy you do and feel free to ask if you need any help or anything :D.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Based on the high priest levels across the team (and all the green stats) I am guessing that you were buffing your characters a lot!

Good luck with the rest of DM, and CSB if you start it (hint: you should)

I played a bit of EOB1 and enjoyed it. However, the only access I had was a friend who had it on the Amiga, and he disliked the game so he rarely allowed me to play :|
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

oh_brother wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:00 pm Based on the high priest levels across the team (and all the green stats) I am guessing that you were buffing your characters a lot!
That's certainly true. Especially after I created the AHK script to buff the whole party at the push of a button.
Good luck with the rest of DM, and CSB if you start it (hint: you should)

I've been pretty tired after work lately, so haven't had the energy or motivation to play any further. Maybe I'll finish it this weekend.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

WHOA! Nice stats...

CSB next.
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

I decided to take a little break from playing CSB (which you can read about here) to finally finish Dungeon Master :)

jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Congratulations on getting through the game! I just completed Dungeon Master for the first time last year, myself, even though my first forays into the game were more than 20 years ago....

--Jay
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woohoo, gratz on your victory :D. I can remember finishing the game at least once "back in the day" when I was probably about six or seven or thereabouts - I can't remember who all my party members were but I know I use to take Hawk a lot for some reason so maybe he was there. I know I had Azizi in the second slot becuase she was dead when I finished. I imagine she probably got nuked while I was trying to sort the Fluxcages out and I couldn't be arsed to reload just to get her back when I was so close to the end or whatever, but I can't remember now.

Post by RogerS »

Thank you :)