Location of all 4 Rabbit’s Foot?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Diecast
Novice

Location of all 4 Rabbit’s Foot?

Post by Diecast »

Hi guys,
New to the group. I’ve been playing DM on SNES for the past while now. The thing is, on this system, the rabbit foot blends so well with the dungeon ground, that they are easy to overlook. So, I was wondering if there was a resource that had the exact location of all 4 rabbit foot, so I can backtrack to get them all? Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Location of all 4 Rabbit’s Foot?

Post by Ameena »

I've never bothered using them myself so I've never taken note of how many there are or where they can be found. I just remember that Boris starts with one in his inventory.
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

See:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/259

From the editor:
00(14,07)
02(29,14)
04(10,27)
07(26,28)

SNES version could be different.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Right - based on the information at the link Paul Stevens provided, it appears that you can only actually get three of the rabbits' feet unless you recruit Boris as one of your champions. I played through the SNES version of this game last year and generally made an attempt to gather most of the items in the dungeon; I'm pretty sure that the rabbits' feet are generally in/around the locations where they are shown on the maps on the site Paul Stevens linked to....

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Speaking of which, was it just me, or were the rabbits' feet better than throwing stars as thrown weapons in terms of damage?
They seemed to do more damage than almost anything else.
That said, I tended to kill more skeletons with thrown falchions or wooden shields than anything else, especially on the Riddle Room level. Good way to use that junk lying around to work on ninja levels.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I don't think I specifically tried throwing rabbits' feet in particular at enemies very often, but I do recall that random thrown objects (even seemingly innocuous ones like cloth robes) could be pretty deadly in this game....

--Jay
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Thanks everyone!
Paul Stevens wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:29 pm See:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/259

From the editor:
00(14,07)
02(29,14)
04(10,27)
07(26,28)

SNES version could be different.
Thanks Paul. I’m new to these numbers. How do you read them?
Ex: 07(26,28) … Level 07? 26th square longitude? 28th square latitude? What’s the most efficient way to spot this accurately on a map? The maps I’m using are a bit hard to break down like this…

Sorry for the noob questions. But I really appreciate the help.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Those are CSBwin absolute level(x,y) locations. They are the
same as those used here:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/141
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

The maps on the dmweb.free.fr web site are really excellent in general. Here is a link to the main page where you can navigate to the map for any floor in the dungeon:

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=taxonomy/term/17,42

--Jay
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Great stuff guys! Thank you!
I decided to start another run with Boris on the squad. Just to have all four champions with the Rabbit’s Foot. I renamed him “Lucky” on the reincarnation. :-) It’s silly but it bugged me only 3 had it on my last run. Besides, I just leaned about the upper levels being inaccessible after you step through that level 13 door to complete the Fire Staff. My plan was to level every character to Archmaster, but that screwed up my training ambitions. I know better this time around. Also going to try out that alternate ending by going back up to the first Level 0 door with the Fire Staff this time. I’m really enjoying this game as an adult. Having a blast! Thanks again for the help guys!
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Ok - good luck on your new playthrough! During my playthrough last year, I was surprised to learn about the "point of no return" in the game once you enter the part of Floor 12 where Chaos and his demons are, myself - luckily, I didn't save my game after passing through the "point of no return" before verifying whether or not it was possible to return to earlier parts of the dungeon....

--Jay
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Thanks Jay. Isn’t the point of no return on level 13 behind the locked door though?
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

As far as I was able to tell, the "point of no return" is different (i.e., earlier) in the SNES version of the game than it is in other versions of the game. My notes from my playthrough last year are in the following thread (the last post is the relevant one for this particular topic):

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31348&start=30

Here is the relevant text from the thread: "Unlike in other versions of Dungeon Master, in the SNES version of the game, throwing the completed Firestaff from the space where you seal it with the Power Gem through the Square Key door leading out of the room does not prevent the walls on Floor 12 of the dungeon leading back toward the Floor 11 stairway from being sealed off. In fact, in the SNES version of the game, these walls apparently become sealed at some point before you actually fuse the Power Gem to the Firestaff. To be on the safe side, I would assume that you are probably entering a "point of no return" as soon as you venture into the main part of Floor 12 of the dungeon where Chaos and his minions are lurking (and certainly once you trigger the floor plate on Floor 13 sealing the door leading to the stairway back to Floor 12); I tested this by descending to Floor 13 of the dungeon, doing nothing but retrieving the Square Key and opening the Square Key door, and then returning to Floor 12 of the dungeon (the way leading back to the Floor 11 stairway was already sealed by the time I had performed these actions)."

--Jay
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Great info Jay! Super good to know. I’ll try to find the exact spot of no return once I’m down there.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I used DM SNES-PC Exchange to extract the SNES dungeon from the ROM image, and then CSBuild to open it.

The "point of no return" is indeed in a different location: if you step on the stairs going down from level 12 to level 13 with the party possessing the Firestaff, then a wall is closed at (12,36,41) to block your way back.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I have added CSBuild map screenshots from Super NES here for comparisons:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/934
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1608
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Thanks for the information of precisely what triggers the "point of no return" in the SNES version of Dungeon Master, ChristopheF! In the SNES version of the game, you immediately fall down into Floor 13 through a hidden pit which opens up if you try entering the main part of Floor 12 while carrying the Firestaff. You can avoid this by throwing the Firestaff into the main area of Floor 12, which will cause the Firestaff to fall into a pit on Floor 12 and end up in the middle of Floor 13. Either way, you can never actually proceed down the stairway from Floor 12 to Floor 13 for the first time while actually carrying the Firestaff in the SNES version of the game; as a result, it is actually carrying the Firestaff back up to Floor 12 via this stairway which will cause the wall blocking the way to the earlier sections of Floor 12 to appear.

So, I guess you could technically get as far as killing the Dragon on Floor 13 and fusing the Firestaff there without actually triggering the "point of no return," so long as you leave the Firestaff on Floor 13 instead of bringing it with you back to Floor 12....

--Jay
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

you can never actually proceed down the stairway from Floor 12 to Floor 13 for the first time while actually carrying the Firestaff
It must be possible to throw the Firestaff over the hidden pit on level 12 without it reaching the next pit and falling down to level 13 by throwing it from as far as possible and with a champion that has not too much strength. Also, you may wait for a demon to move in front of the pit to throw the Firestaff and the demon would block it.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Good points - guess I wasn't really thinking outside the box on possible ways to get the Firestaff onto the main part of Floor 12. I guess I didn't think very much about it since I didn't have much of a problem with it dropping down to Floor 13 once I was able to verify where it had landed and retrieve it successfully....

--Jay
Diecast
Novice

Post by Diecast »

Admirable work ChristopheF.
Thanks for all you’ve done and continue to do with this!