Pre-scaled images for Things, Doors and Creatures?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Pre-scaled images for Things, Doors and Creatures?

Post by Gambit37 »

Could archetypes be extended to take a bunch of pre-scaled extra bitmaps for the scaled views of Things, Doors and Creatures?

In trying to create DM/CSBs original pixellated look, I'm getting really poor results with DSBs own dynamic scaling of low-res images -- the images end up very "scratchy" and distorted at intermediate scalings and don't look good. Pre-drawn resized images would give much better results. It's the same approach that EOB, Lands of Lore and Captive took: all scaled views were pre-drawn.

The idea would be that if an archetype has any pre-drawn images specified, DSB will use those, otherwise it'll dynamically scale as usual. I imagine it would work by adding new _MED and _FAR images to the archetypes? (Although possibly Things need more scalings?)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Pre-scaled images for Things, Doors and Creatures?

Post by Sophia »

This could probably be useful, but it's probably a somewhat major addition-- if nothing else, it's a decent amount of typing for me. It would also likely be tricky to get everything working properly, especially for Things.

I'll keep it on the back burner but it's not the sort of thing I can really do at the moment.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool, absolutely no worries at all, I just throw these things out there when I think of them.

My other solution is to go the other way and redraw everything in higher resolution! DSB scales native 2x graphics much better. However I suspect the sun will consume the earth in a vast heat-death before I finished that...
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

It's pretty easy to 2x scale of images automagically with a script.
What Is Your Quest ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sure, but that looks terrible. I'm talking about completely redrawing things, a totally handcrafted approach.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

What Is Your Quest ?