RTC Version: help on leveling

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
juzan
Neophyte

RTC Version: help on leveling

Post by juzan »

Hi all,
have finished DM multiple times in the last 30= years, and every time it is a pleasure.
After on Amiga, I remember to have played and finished the Dos emulator version, and perhaps a Dos version ( I do not remember which one.

I remember that when your characters take damage (any, including closing doors, running into walls, falling, self fireballing yourself) , you get some experience (Fighter). Moreover, there was the dungeon level multiplier, so I finished DM at master level in all 4 char/classes (only mage as arch-master). Q: Does anyone remember which version was it?

PROBLEM:
now I am playing (again :D ) via Return to Chaos program. I am playing the ''Original'' one.
after clearing everything but lord chaos, and farming, I struggle to level up. my characters are:
Fighter: Adept
Ninja: Craftsman/ Journeyman
Priest: Adept
Wizzard: 2nd Master

I am talking about days in the fungus farm at level 3.. the progression is far too slow.

QUESTIONS:
1) is it confirmed that in RTC versions, there is no deep-level multiplier for the experience?
2) I tried the rope trick, but they seem to have fixed it (climb down in front of a door)..moreover, even with proper use, it seems I get no exp... has anyone tried it?
3) I tried the trick with complete firestaff ( you through it and collect back at level 13th in the room with trigger, to avoid the closing of higher levels, but when I through, I hear ""click"" and the upper levels are closed... anyone can confirm?
4) has anyone reached Master levels in Ninja / Fighter fast, and if yes, how have you done?

thanks in advance
best
Juzan
Estoroth
Novice

Re: RTC Version: help on leveling

Post by Estoroth »

Hello Juzan,

I have played RTC many years ago and finished DM, CSB and DM2 through RTC, I'm not an expert of RTC but as Georges Gilbert have explained in his website "I have not had access to the full source-code for Dungeon Master and so everything has been made up to look and feel like DM"
The engine is différent of original DM, it is highly possible that some mechanisms as deep-level multiplier, rope trick, throw complete firestaff for avoid the trigger etc... not working with RTC.

I suspect when I read your post that the wall trigger is enabled when the complete firestaff is in party inventory or not (when you throw it).
When I have reached Master Levels in Ninja/Fighter, I have used the screamer room, kicking the door with my party for Ninja and used War Cry in front of screamers for fighter. (I must admit I used a script to automate mouse movements and mouse clicks)
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

RTC looks, feels and even smells like the original.
BUT it´s not, It´s a complete re-write. "Close but no cigar", as you might say.

If you want the TRUE experience, your choices are:

CSBwin
Emulation
Real hardware & software

All are readily available @ dmweb.free.fr
(Except the real hardware...)
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

juzan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:31 pm PROBLEM:
now I am playing (again :D ) via Return to Chaos program. I am playing the ''Original'' one.
after clearing everything but lord chaos, and farming, I struggle to level up. my characters are:
Fighter: Adept
Ninja: Craftsman/ Journeyman
Priest: Adept
Wizzard: 2nd Master

I am talking about days in the fungus farm at level 3.. the progression is far too slow.
That's odd, I typically was at least that skilled by the end of the game without any real grinding.
I'd clean out the Screamer room when I first encountered it, then after completing the next level I'd go back and restock on screamer slices before proceeding to The Riddle Room.
That was typically it for my normal run through.

I'd do something similar with the rat room, in that I'd clean it out with daggers or punches/kicks every time I returned for water, but I often only returned for water after completing level 12 before going back to level 7.
Despite this lack of grinding, I was typically at those levels by the end of the game.
On the other hand I do tend for "100% completion" in that I'd grab all the treasure to be had, the only times I recall skipping stuff was on the worm level when I might use the shortcut since I don't recall any worthwhile treasure to be had taking the long way.

This was primarily with the Apple IIGS version, but also years later the DOS/Windows version (a pirated copy worked in Win98SE when I went to college and left my obsolete Apple IIGS at home) or CSBWin.