Cost of Living crisis UK: You may be entitled to support

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Cost of Living crisis UK: You may be entitled to support

Post by Gambit37 »

Since April, I've been working at GDS (Government Digital Services). I work on the gov.uk website, and recently have been working on resources to help with the Cost of Living crisis. The page went live today, and it's worth checking out as you may be entitled to support that you're unaware of:

www.gov.uk/cost-of-living
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Cost of Living crisis UK: You may be entitled to support

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh and just to be clear, I do not support the current British tory government! I'm a civil servant and work for the government of the day in a neutral capacity. My job is about supporting the British public. While I have to remain outwardly neutral, anyone who knows me will know that I'm not remotely conservative.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

No worries, Gambit37! A lot of times, people are not very well aware of which government benefits they qualify for - I apparently qualify for emergency student loan forgiveness of up to $10,000 [I'm in the United States], but I didn't know it until my mother and sister told me a few days ago....

--Jay
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

we get limited info this way regarding the situation in UK.. but what little we do has made it sound pretty horrid. There is a lot of sarcasm and tongue in cheek in the delivery but it's clear that it's rough.

Over here in BC we are noticing that post covid side effects has turned us from having some money for savings to living cheque to cheque.. this is with my wife making more money.. which means we should have more.. but it feels like somehow we have less. :(

this guy explaining how the prices that are rising will be "baked in" and the rate of rising will just slow down. So, yes.. water will still be up to your eyebrows.. but good news, it won't reach your hairline for a while..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1alzMz7Ht0
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

There are still fairly frequent product shortages for certain types of items where I live in the Washington, DC area - shortages were far worse during the first several months of the COVID-19 pandemic, though. Prices for various types of items have been going up here, too, and that's why the Federal Reserve has been raising rates so aggressively recently for the first time in years....

--Jay