Spell damage calculation

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
phoenix2022
Neophyte

Spell damage calculation

Post by phoenix2022 »

Hi,
I am wondering about the spell damage calculation of the 4 offensive spells. I read through the technical documentation http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/690, but the (base) damage is set to 0 there with no further formulas and in the src of CSBwin_SRC_20180421-1603, in file Code11f52.cpp line 1471-1500, it seems the damage calculation is implemented, but I can't really make anything out of it, beside it doesn't seem to take values from anti-magic, distance or armor into account.
Does maybe someone know, how the calculation is done and which base damage values are being used? (or direct me to the correct techdoc)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Spell damage calculation

Post by ChristopheF »

If you can read C source code, I suggest you check my ReDMCSB source code here: viewtopic.php?t=29805
The source code is, I hope, easier to read.
phoenix2022
Neophyte

Re: Spell damage calculation

Post by phoenix2022 »

Okay, thanks. I thought the CSBwin source with it's strange references was the reverse engineered code I had heard of. I had stumbled on this archive before but only took a shallow look into the hierarchy, reading the documentation about Light management (which was enlightening) not expecting game code under toolchain. (I now understand it means "by toolchain"). This will take a while now to dig through it. Handsome work btw.