are there art archives?

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
tiamat1968
Neophyte

are there art archives?

Post by tiamat1968 »

I wanted to ask people if there are any art archives for Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, or similar action-oriented 1st-person dungeon crawlers.

I'm currently making an indie game using the Gold Box/Unlimited Adventures engine, which is a slightly less actiony close cousin to the Eye of the Beholder games. UA has an art archive, which I know includes a fair amount of art derived from the Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, and Lands of Lore series, and probably other games in the 1P dungeon crawler genre.

I got the idea after someone in my Discord group started raving about "The Great" Rick Parks behind the artwork from Land of Lore: Throne of Chaos. So I opened up Lands of Lore and indeed some of the artwork is pretty awesome.

If there aren't art archives, I'd love to hear what people well-learned in dungeon crawler lore think are the prettiest games. I really loved Scotia's Tower from LoL: ToC.

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: are there art archives?

Post by Gambit37 »

What do you mean by art archives? Do you want the extracted assets from the games? I made these available on here years ago as zip files, but I'm not sure they are still online, try searching the forum.

If you're just talking about appreciating the art, I agree, I still have a big nostalgic warmth for this art style. Dungeon Master looks a bit ropey these days, but the Eye of the Beholder / Lands of Lore style still looks amazing. The jump from 16 colours to 256 made a huge difference to what was possible. Having said that, I'm still a big fan of the Captive graphics, which were 32 colours on the Amiga. Black Crypt looked awesome too, that used 64 colours (well, 32+32 halfbrite).

You might also like this thing that I'm working on (although it's not a restricted palette, I'm using millions of colours, so not really "retro" in that sense):