strange bug in the st version

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
èné
Apprentice

strange bug in the st version

Post by èné »

I finished DM a couple of days ago (have just finished CSB today) and ended up with something I've never encountered before:

I wanted to rush the fight with the dragon, so decided to just throw off all those poison potions (collected during my journey) at once. In the same time, i frose time non-stop with the green boxes (which here too i didn't use at all ).

Anyway, at one point, i cast some fireballs too, and then this happended :

it's an animated gif, hope it's ok

Maybe i throw too much at one time :P because it seems the game couldnt cope with all these elements. As i was throwing literaly everything at this poor chap (which has not a single chance to defend itself), I noticed that the game was beginning to respond slower & slower - but for some reason (actually the reason is that i wanted to end the game quickly), i just carried on throwing stuff

It's just something i have never seen in this game (poison clouds & fireball that never end). I then walked in the never-ending-spell, and got an error from the game.

Ah well, i guess next time i will be more respectful in my approach..
Leslie
Adept

Re: strange bug in the st version

Post by Leslie »

I had something similar many years ago in the amiga version. I threw all my arrows, darts, daggers etc. onto a monster with many hitpoints (I guess it was a scorpion), but all these projectiles did not kill it. Later on, I defeated another monster with magic. The game froze for a moment, then all my throwing weapons appeared on the floor, and in the air was a never ending ZO spell explosion.
I never managed to replicate that, however.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

That's definitely an interesting bug - I have never seen or heard of it before, but I did encounter a weird bug during my playthrough of Dungeon Master a couple of years ago which caused a glowing orb to appear in the air [and remain there indefinitely] which looked somewhat like a Des Ew (i.e., harm non-material beings) spell or a materializer when it has phased out of existence except for its ball-like core. The bug, which is apparently triggered by Gigglers stealing certain types of items, is described in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?p=160546#p160546

--Jay
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I agree with jayrshaw, this is most probably caused by cloned items, which can create all sorts of weird effects. You probably had a Ven Potion that was stored in a chest at one point in the game, and you never placed it back on the dungeon floor before throwing it to the Dragon.
èné
Apprentice

Post by èné »

@Jay - Still, as you mentionned, the spell died out by itself. I too (almost sure of it), have encontered similiar bugs in my previous playthrough. The thing that (here too), it just lasted couple of seconds. So in the end i didn't much pay attention.

In this case, the thing seems to be a bit more nasty (the spell lives on forever) + as you walk in it (wanted to collect my steaks after all), you have this error (code 50 i think) as the game then got itself frozen/corrupted.

I read (partially) the link.. i get it's due to something that was never fixed in the code for some reason. But still, it's something very rare, and it's a nice piece of bug if you ask me :mrgreen: .. I played this version quite many times, and other than that, the game is absolutely bug-free (hence my surprise).

Thanks all for the input :)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I have uploaded the list of bugs I compiled for my ReDMCSB documentation here: http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/ReDMCSB/Docu ... hanges.htm
See BUG0_12 for some details about the bug that most probably affected you.