lockpick

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
èné
Apprentice

lockpick

Post by èné »

For some reason, the game didn't give me the lockpick, so i couldn't get in the Dead Row room (i think the lockpick is also required to create a pathway betwwen the end of ROS & the room where you start the game, level 4),

As i seem to understand (but not quite sure), a giggler is supposed to have it, but then, despite having encountered many gigglers, none actually carried the lockpick.

I returned in some places where the gigglers are supposed to show up to make sure it wasn't me who missed it. But it seems that's not the case.

So is it possible that the game don't give you the lockpick during a play (would be some kind of bad luck?). Or is it me who failed somewhere (ie, my fault). I know some stuff are randomly given, that's why i ask.
Leslie
Adept

Re: lockpick

Post by Leslie »

CSB teleports the gigglers to random locations in the dungeon the first time you enter the level with the junction of the ways. Not all teleporters lead to levels that support gigglers, so the one with the lockpicks could have landed on a level without gigglers and have died instantly.
One time, I found the lockpicks just lying around on the level with the FULYA pit.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

If you post your latest savegame I can tell you
exactly where to find the lockpicks.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

If you want to search the dungeon in the game, all the details and coordinates are here: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/129
There is only one set of Lock Picks in the whole game, in a Giggler which is teleported to one of eight locations in the dungeon.

Or you can open your saved game with Paul's CSBuild tool and search for items in the dungeon automatically
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/697
èné
Apprentice

Post by èné »

@Christophe - I always use your site when I play DM/CSB (actually made a backup years ago) - all is very well explained/detailed (the maps are perfect to me)

Why I asked here is because of the random fact, ie, , the conexion 'giggler/lockpick'

I'm not an expert, but i seem to understand that all the gigglers are parked in the southwest corner in level 7, and then just wait to be poped out/triggered by an external action (occured by the player). Right? So in the the end i mean, that's still random stuff. I could be wrong but im' pretty sure i couldn't have missed something like the lockpick (dropped by a giggler). Hey, after all, i did saw/pick up the skeleton key (it's similar mechanism, right?).

For me, obviously its' my fault (missed it somewhere) - but not 100% sure still. Could it be possibly that for some reason something in the game engine makes that it cannot appear during a playthrough. That's the one thing I wanted to known initially..

Have CSBwin tool tool actually i'm gonnay check that out - tks

meanwhile, if someone want to give it a go, my very last save (in front of the ful ya pit)

crap.. how do i attach stuff here? silly me.. i going for ext url

https://file.io/pFzGY3o6Z4nP
èné
Apprentice

Post by èné »

ok, it's here (level 0) :roll:

I almost never go there, exept for the Dragon Fang. Oddly enough, before ending my game yesterday, I wandered about a bit in this place, but still have missed it obviously.

It's random still (next time, it will be put somewhere else, probable in another level).

CSBWin indicates another place, which is level 9), in this little zone. I'm not sure what it means.

so that means there are 2 lockpick? Oh well, that's not important, at least i know it was my fault 100% (why i'm not surprised? :lol: ).

Thanks for the help.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

èné wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:06 pm I'm not an expert, but i seem to understand that all the gigglers are parked in the southwest corner in level 7, and then just wait to be poped out/triggered by an external action (occured by the player). Right?
No external action needed. The 8 Gigglers in the large room on level 7 just randomly move as soon as the game starts and eventually each one of them teleports to one of the eight possible locations. Only one Giggler per destination because each teleporter can only be used once.
èné wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:06 pm Could it be possibly that for some reason something in the game engine makes that it cannot appear during a playthrough.
No, you can always get the eight sets of objects that the Gigglers have in their pockets. I have updated the details on map 7 page to clarify this (I hope).
However, there is one random set of items from the missile launcher that gets teleported to the large Giggler room, so these items are 'lost' for that game.
èné wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:06 pm so that means there are 2 lockpick?
The second 'Lock Picks' is in the inventory of Halk Gonzo Barbarian, the cheat champion they used for testing. Check here: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/232#toc34
EricFr
Neophyte

Post by EricFr »

Paul Stevens wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:27 am If you post your latest savegame I can tell you
exactly where to find the lockpicks.
Hello Paul
Could you please tell us how you do this?

I'm desperately seeking the last pieces of the green dragon armor.
I know that it is held by some giggler somewhere but did not find it yet...

I am also very curious on the method you use to find items in the map.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Download CSBuild from http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/697
then open your saved game and use the search feature to locate any item in the dungeon
EricFr
Neophyte

Post by EricFr »

Many thanks CristopheF, it worked perfectly well.

I tried something similar before, but using a too old version of CSBuild...