Best version of DM?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
8-Bit Star
Neophyte

Best version of DM?

Post by 8-Bit Star »

So I'm thinking of really getting into DM--I had fiddled with the game before but never really got INTO it.

But what's the best version? Or rather, best versionS, since I'm looking at specific aspects and I'm sure different ports match different criteria:

1. Purest version--the version closest to the original.

2. Version with the most/best enhancements.

3. Version that is simply the most fun.

Currently I'm looking at Dungeon Master for SNES, Chaos Strikes Back using CBSwin, and Dungeon Master II on the Sega CD.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

1. Amiga DM :D

2. All the clones - RTC has no object / graphics sound restrictions, but CSBwin has a complex yet easy pseudo-code language

3. Can't answer that, possibly CSBwin as it feels faster and is closer to the original so you won't get knocked by quirks in the engine and go 'grr, that wasn't usually that fast, hey, why's that round there,' etc
8-Bit Star
Neophyte

Post by 8-Bit Star »

While I'm at it: Using CBSwin, is it possible to port characters from Dungeon Master into Chaos Strikes Back?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, just put you DM save into the CSB folder and port as normal
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

You gotta rename it, I believe.
'CSBGAME.DAT'
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

First version for me was SNES, and it stands as the best version — graphics and music can really add to the atmosphere, and atmosphere is why I played the game. However, the lack of mouse support is obnoxious, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're extremely patient.

First version of DMII was PC. I bought it on a whim one day while I was at Media Play looking for a good RPG. Didn't even know a sequel existed. Didn't have to think twice. Best money I ever spent.
doomguard
Apprentice

Post by doomguard »

i like the rtc-version with its rune-learning. the spells come time after time and you have enough time to learn them. now i use more spell then the first time, not only the fireball and healing potion.
Steve-B
Novice

Post by Steve-B »

Dungeon Master on the SNES may have slightly nicer looking sprites but it's bloody slow. What the hell was the super fx chip used for in that game?? Maybe we'll never know.

The best version has to be the updated Amiga version (3.6) by Psygnosis. Lots of bug fixes over the original plus its nice and fast. This was the first version of DM that I played and I still think its the best.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I agree:

1. 3.6 Amiga or 3.4 DM PC, for DMII - Amiga version for graphics.

2. CSBWin. It just feels "more right"

3. In terms of fun... Conflux. It's damn challenging but it offers a LOT of fun.
aster
Apprentice

Re: Best version of DM?

Post by aster »

1. 3.6 Amiga or 3.4 DM PC

Are they exactly the same in terms of graphics or is either of them better?

I take it it's easier to emulate the latter as it runs on DOS?
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

I vote for the dosbox version. Looks good and supports save states.
Splatmania
Novice

Post by Splatmania »

For my 10 pence worth if anyone is interested.

1. Purest version closest to the original.
a. Atari ST Emulated with Steem - the original I started on and finished first
b. Amiga 3.6 Emulated with Winuae original with improvements - original I most played and finished a few times
c. DOS 3.4 Emulated with DOSBox - because I am using a PC to play them all on

2. Version with the most/best enhancements.
a. CSBWin
b. RTC because of user made dungeons

3. Version that i've simply had the most fun with.
a.CSBWin with Conflux - stunning
b.Legend of Grimrock Dungeon Master version

4. Easy runner...
a.RTC
b.However for CSBWin without the full screen faf try
https://github.com/BeipDev/CSBWin/releases/tag/v1
Window smoothly scales at proper 4:3 aspect ratio. Pity it's not the latest version but I find works well. Be nice for a V2 please.

As you can probably tell I love the game best I've played and still am to this day 35 years later... That won't happen with the games of today.
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

Splatmania wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:50 amb. Amiga 3.6 Emulated with Winuae original with improvements - original I most played and finished a few times
c. DOS 3.4 Emulated with DOSBox - because I am using a PC to play them all on
I was wondering recently which of these versions is better in terms of graphics/sound/up-to-date features like clicking on a wall to see if it's real/fake.

What differences (if any) have you found between the Amiga 3.6 and DOS 3.4 versions?
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I've only ever played the SNES version of Dungeon Master, myself, because I've always had a strong preference for [when possible] playing games using a video game controller from a couch on a large-screen TV to playing them using a keyboard/mouse on a PC while sitting at my desk....

--Jay
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

There are no major gameplay differences between 3.4 PC and 3.6 Amiga. They were both released around the same time in 1992.
Check here for the small differences: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/247#toc5
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

jayrshaw wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:23 am I've only ever played the SNES version of Dungeon Master, myself, because I've always had a strong preference for [when possible] playing games using a video game controller from a couch on a large-screen TV to playing them using a keyboard/mouse on a PC while sitting at my desk....
Never played the SNES version of DM but doesn't it get difficult or at least somewhat annoying when switching lots of items between the characters, chests, etc., not to mention casting various spells or making potions? Seems really easy when you're doing it all with a mouse...
ChristopheF wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:03 pm There are no major gameplay differences between 3.4 PC and 3.6 Amiga. They were both released around the same time in 1992.
Check here for the small differences: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/247#toc5
Many thanks. I read that page but am still curious about the differences strictly between the latest PC and Amiga versions. I take it that in Amiga 3.6 you can drink straight from a fountain and click on walls to see if they generate a sound when real, but does the latest PC version also allow this?
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

It's really not that bad if you're as used to using an SNES controller as I am. I don't think I would be able to do it substantially faster on a PC unless I actually went through with assigning hotkey shortcuts for specific functions or something like that.....

--Jay
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

aster wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:51 am does the latest PC version also allow this?
Yes.

If you can read C source code, you can check for yourself all the minute differences between PC 3.4 and Amiga 3.6 in my ReDMCSB source code: viewtopic.php?t=29805
Search for MEDIAXXX_ tags (where XXX are digits) that contain either I34M (multilanguage IBM PC version) or A36M (multilangue Amiga version), but not both. This will point you to all locations where there is code specific to one version of the other.
phoenix2022
Neophyte

Post by phoenix2022 »

I prefer the Amiga version of DM 3.6 and CSB, and the PC version for DM2. It's basically the platform I started playing them back than.
I started a new group recently, it's usually Sonja, Alex, Chani and Elija, but on Amiga, I could have sworn, Monsters do take bigger chunks out (damage) of my heroes than they do on the PC (dosbox) version with basically the same equipment and level. Could be superstition, but tracing the C-code without debugging in real time, to find out, is currently not an option.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

jayrshaw wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:17 am It's really not that bad if you're as used to using an SNES controller as I am. I don't think I would be able to do it substantially faster on a PC unless I actually went through with assigning hotkey shortcuts for specific functions or something like that.....

--Jay
Most hotkeys were hard coded into the IIGS version of the game. Movement, turning, and opening character inventory.
Unfortunately they forgot to put one for using weapons, that had to be done with the mouse, and manipulating objects in inventory had to be done with the mouse, as did picking up items or pressing buttons/pulling leaves, etc.
Still, I found myself completely relying on the keyboard for turning and movement while doing hit and run attacks and the famous step dance, although I did not learn the term until around 2000, I figured out the tactic in 1989. I and my pre-internet peers just called it "hit and run" or "circling the monster".
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

Can anyone recommend a version of DM that has a mini map you can look at while traversing the dungeon? I know I know, that would sort of kill the tension and maybe ruin the excitement of exploring the dungeon blindly and all, but if I decide to tackle the game again, I wouldn't have the patience to wander aimlessly through the dungeon not knowing where the hell I am lol. A preferable map, would be one that fills up in real time as you're traversing the dungeon, but doesn't show any areas you haven't visited yet....kinda like the map in Final Fantasy XII. Any mods or versions of DM with this style of map?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

isamuu wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:35 am Can anyone recommend a version of DM that has a mini map you can look at while traversing the dungeon? ... A preferable map, would be one that fills up in real time as you're traversing the dungeon, but doesn't show any areas you haven't visited yet... Any mods or versions of DM with this style of map?
Not yet... ;-)
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

OK thanks. Good to see you're still around Gambit. Hope you're doing well :)
GothmogPlays
Neophyte

Post by GothmogPlays »

The best version is the Sharp X68000 version. It's got the joint best graphics AND unlike the SNES version retains the keyboard/mouse input. It's also got the best sound.

However it's best to play from a ramdisk on a 4mb STe - that's the one that feels best to me.

Most fun? Just vanilla dungeon master.
Thorham
Apprentice

Post by Thorham »

isamuu wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:35 amCan anyone recommend a version of DM that has a mini map you can look at while traversing the dungeon? ... A preferable map, would be one that fills up in real time as you're traversing the dungeon, but doesn't show any areas you haven't visited yet... Any mods or versions of DM with this style of map?
There's meynaf's Amiga port of the Atari ST version. Has an automap, bug fixes, runs multitasking under AmigaOS, etc. Get it on English Amiga Board: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t= ... eon+master Requires a proper Amiga emulator setup or an Amiga (68020+ with some extra RAM and Kickstart 2+). This is the version I always use for playing DM and CSB on my Amiga 1200.
3DH
Apprentice

Post by 3DH »

Translator:
I played DM for the first time on Amiga 600, but I like the PC version and CSBWin the most.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re:

Post by oh_brother »

8-Bit Star wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:21 am But what's the best version? Or rather, best versionS, since I'm looking at specific aspects and I'm sure different ports match different criteria:

1. Purest version--the version closest to the original.
beowuuf wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:37 am 1. Amiga DM :D
Incorrect - the Atari ST version is the original, and so by definition also the closet to the original.

Wow, I get to correct Beo. And he is possibly not around to defend himself. Win win! :D
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

EASY...

Amiga 3.60.