First solo win

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RogerS
Craftsman

First solo win

Post by RogerS »

Just got my first solo win in DM, using reincarnated Halk :)

Would be cool to have won with every character, but that might be a bit too ambitious because it would require 23 more runs. I might get fed up with DM if I try that, especially if I also try to get them all through CSB as well.

By the way, does the luck bonus from rabbit's feet stack if you have multiple of them in a single character's inventory? Is there any point in having as many of them as you can find in your inventory?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: First solo win

Post by ChristopheF »

Yes, modifiers from objects are cumulative. Multiple rabbit's feet in the inventory of a single champion will provide a higher bonus.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Congratulations on the successful solo run, RogerS! It's interesting that you decided to do the run using Halk - the idea of a burly barbarian wandering around the dungeon on his own is pretty funny to me for some reason...

--Jay
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woo, gratz on the win. Now to take him through CSB, then, yeah? :D

Post by RogerS »

Thank you everyone :)

I've already imported him into CSB, and have killed the first dragon in ku.

Maybe I'll try Leyla next.
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Update: I now have the Ku corbum and the Ros corbum (via the Ku shortcut).

Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Whit those stats Halk can breeze through the dungeon and
stand toe-to-toe with any foes. It should not take you long
to finish.
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Victory! :)

Stats at the end, just before unlocking the topaz key door.

For some reason, it doesn't seem to proceed to show the list of heroes on this version of CSB (Amiga 3.1 cracked by Endless Piracy). It just gets stuck showing "The End" after the ending animation. I tried clicking the mouse, pressing space and pressing enter, but nothing happened in either case.

PS: Do multiple poison clouds cast on the same square stack? How much damage per second does a poison cloud do at the various strengths?

Given how tedious it is to kill the dragon under DDD using melee only, might be worth using a freeze life combined with one or more poison clouds (and some supplemental melee damage) to kill it instead next time.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Gratz on your win :). I think I pretty much only defeat dragons with melée, at least when it's one of the stronger ones in an area where I have room to dance around it (hitting it in the side before it can turn to face me, then moving around to the next side). For the weaker ones in places like Dragon's Den or the "dragon maze" in Ros, I tend to just fireball them because those ones are much weaker and go down in one or two hits.

Post by RogerS »

Thank you Ameena :)

I've started a new run with reincarnated Tiggy, and have just finished level 3 (worm level).

Stamina is a bit of an issue. I often have to top up with stamina potions, especially after punching matches against rock piles or screamers.

jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

For some reason, it's funny to see Tiggy wielding an Axe like that - good luck on the new run!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Haha, yes. A petite nerdy wizardy girl running around smacking monsters over the head with a huge axe seems a bit weird if you think about it, a bit out of character :lol:

Then again, so is a huge, angry roided up barbarian casting spells and brewing potions.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ah yes, solo Tiggy is basically "super hard challenge mode" because she is the squishiest of them all. I've never tried it myself, but certainly people have done it. I suppose it's only harder in the earlier parts of the game, when you're most lacking in hp and stamina. Once you get over that hurdle, I suppose things get easier.

Post by RogerS »

Won :)

Onwards to CSB.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Great job getting through the solo Tiggy run so quickly, RogerS!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Thank you Jay :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woo, gratz :D. Now CSB? :D

Post by RogerS »

Thank you Ameena :)

Yes, I've already transferred her to CSB and done the first part with the worms and supplies for the quick.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Very cool. Let us know how you get on (I suppose some victory screenshots in another day or so, right? ;)).

Post by RogerS »

I just got the first two corbums.

The dragon den was particularly hard this time, because as soon as I started dancing with one dragon in the main room, another one would soon start peeking out the broken door of the west room wanting to join the party. This kept forcing me to retreat to the corridor to stand toe to toe with one of the dragons (with the help of 3 or 4 shield potions and trying to quickly dodge any fireballs the dragon spit on the left hand side while trying to not flinch and turn when it was throwing a fireball on the right hand side) to avoid getting double teamed. I had to retreat upstairs multiple times to heal my wounds and top up my stamina, and to refresh my buffs and shield potions.

When all was said and done, only one dragon had been a good boy and remained in its cage the whole time. The rest were constantly trying to gang up on me.

With Halk, I also got particularly lucky with the random equipment, because with him I had found the boots speed in the secret room by Mongor's lair and diamond edge behind the gold key door in the ku path just below DDD (trust me pit). Those are the two items at the very top of my wish list.

Not having access to the fast stab attack of diamond edge (thus being stuck with the slower chop attack) added to the difficulty in this part of the dungeon compared to my previous run.

Next time I might try the recommended tactic of blasting them with poison bolts through the closed gates instead.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

as soon as I started dancing with one dragon in the main room, another one would soon start......

recommended tactic of blasting them with poison bolts
The lastest time I played it I let out the east dragon and
then was careful to stay away from directly in front of
any other door; thus the other dragons never attacked me
with fireballs which would cause another door to open.
I generally avoid the upper Ku so I don't know if this can
generally be successful.
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

I only let a dragon destroy the west door, then immediately left the room and let the dragon destroy the entrance door to the dragons den (to avoid the possibility of getting trapped inside).

It's the same strategy I first tried with Halk. I decided to try that because the first time I played on the Amiga version a year ago (with two champions), at one point I got surrounded by 3 dragons at once in the main room and I wanted to avoid getting trapped like that this time.

None of the other doors were destroyed, I was careful to stay away from the other cage doors. Nevertheless, the dragons kept roaming from their original rooms to the west room. In my previous run with Halk, that happened once as well, but this time it happened a lot more.

Maybe the dragons behave differently in the Amiga version compared to the Atari/CSBWin version? I don't remember this happening on my first playthroughs when I was using CSBWin.
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

I was thinking about which champion to choose for my next run.

My initial thinking was that after playing the two extreme champions Halk and Tiggy, what could be more fitting than Mr. Average himself, Zed :lol:

Later I also thought of selecting a champion from among the avatars of people who have been active in my thread, in honor of them. That would be Wuuf (Ameena), Hissssa (jayrshaw) or Gando (Paul Stevens).

@Ameena is it possible to set up a poll here for who I should play next? The options would be Zed, Wuuf, Hissssa and Gando.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

None of the other doors were destroyed, I..... Nevertheless, the dragons kept roaming from their original rooms to the west room
This is certainly contrary to my experience and contrary to my
understanding of the source code. Monsters will not enter
a false wall, even if it is non-blocking to the party.

Christophe might be able to tell us if the Amiga version
of the function (named 'PossibleMove' in CSBwin) treats the
false wall differently. It appears relatively straight-forward.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I did not check that specific case but there is a parameter 'RFPAW' to function 'PossibleMove' that indicates whether the monster is allowed to walk over false pits and fake walls. So I believe there would be situations where monsters would be allowed to cross fake walls. Am I wrong?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

So I believe there would be situations where monsters would be allowed to cross fake walls. Am I wrong?
I would not say that you are wrong. But....

I believe that RFPAW is always false when monsters are looking for a
possible move. I think this parameter is true only when the player
is making a move. I think this is exactly what that parameter is for.
The player is allowed to enter a visible but non-blocking wall but
monsters are not. Same with pits.

But the real question is: Does the Amiga code treat these false walls
differently than the Atari code? I doubt it.
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

I've created a poll for who my next champion should be. Get your votes in now.

https://strawpoll.com/polls/mpnbok64Gg5
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Just to point out, my avatar isn't actually Wuuf - it's an edited version of Wuuf's portrait whom I named Fippy, hence the name floating above his head ;). The character that represents "me" usually is Hissssa, renamed to Ameena Shadowscale (and gender-flipped). I did redo that avatar at one point and I do still have it, in fact, but can't be arsed right now to faff around and upload it somewhere so I can post a link in here.
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Paul Stevens wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:03 am But the real question is: Does the Amiga code treat these false walls
differently than the Atari code? I doubt it.
I definitively remember monsters going through walls. Here is what happen from my CSB Amiga party : CSB Amiga Dragon Den Record (my old save was just at ... the beginning of Dragon Den).
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

2 down, 22 to go :)

I'm pretty pleased that I managed to solo both games with the weakest champion with 0 deaths, which is 2 less deaths than I managed with Halk.

Halk died once on DM level 11 when I took a wrong turn kiting a couple of animated armours and got trapped, and subsequently was slightly too slow with a healing potion (died just as I was about to click on the mouth). He died once in CSB the first time I entered the Dain path and ended up in a room that was absolutely swarming with munchers. I ran out of healing potions and mana for fireballs (my mana was already pretty low when entering Dain).

To be fair to Halk, it was a year since the last time I played.

Looking at the poll on who to play next, it looks like Hissssa and Gando are currently tied with 1 vote each.
https://strawpoll.com/polls/mpnbok64Gg5