Solo runs with various champions

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Solo runs with various champions

Post by Ameena »

Wow, I just suggested it half-jokingly as a possible means to do a "Challenge Mode" run of some kind. That's pretty crazy that some people are actually attempting it. But are you gonna do CSB as well? :D
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

jayrshaw wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:59 am It's cool seeing people attempt the "no spellcasting" run - congratulations on completing it so quickly, Ian Clark! Which Champion are you using for your run, PaulH?

--Jay
Thanks, it did actually take me a couple of hours. I decided to clear out the rooms on the Couatl level even though they are not all necessary but the Illumulet made life a bit easier when torches were in short supply. I also killed the Dragon though not necessary but I bypassed the Stone Golems. Once he got to Adept Fighter and Ninja after training in the Screamer room (plenty of jabs and punches), he was a force to be reckoned with. I didn't get killed but wasn't far off when I got cornered by Skeletons after retrieving the Vorpal Blade. Perhaps, on reflection, the other Vorpal Blade would have been easier to obtain.

I think that CSB would require different tactics.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

jayrshaw wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:59 am It's cool seeing people attempt the "no spellcasting" run - congratulations on completing it so quickly, Ian Clark! Which Champion are you using for your run, PaulH?

--Jay
The usual lol - Stamm. I need to splice some saves together as didn't have the time to do a full single run. I've lost a little bit of my speed too!
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah - if I were going to attempt this, I would probably use Stamm, myself. It's really crazy that there are people like the two of you who can zip through a challenge run so quickly!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Finally got over my procrastination and got around to finishing my Gando run in CSB :)

jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Wow - Gando must be one of the characters with the lowest Vitality in the game if he only has 40 after you completed both Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

jayrshaw wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:29 am Wow - Gando must be one of the characters with the lowest Vitality in the game if he only has 40 after you completed both Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back!

--Jay
I just had look in the wiki, and his starting vitality of 33 is actually the lowest of them all. The second lowest is Gothmog at 34, and there are a few champions who have a starting vitality of 35.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah - I checked myself after making my last post. I recall Hissssa being one of the Champions who starts with only 35 Vitality from my last playthrough....

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Finished DM with Zed. I used dmcsb this time.

jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Not bad. I think I tried using Zed during my very first attempt at this game - I liked the fact that his stats were so well-rounded....

--Jay
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

The first time I ever played was with Zed (and others, I didn't realise until a few years later that you didn't have to use 4 characters). It was the extra torch that swung it for me. It wasn't until the past few years when I realised that starting equipment really doesn't matter and decided to take just Hissssa.
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

The CSB run with Mr. Average has now been completed :lol:

I had to take the long way to get the Ros corbum this time, because meynaf has removed the shortcut in his version.

jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Great job, RogerS! If you do another run, which apprentice do you think you will use next?

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Thank you Jay :)

Next one is Wuuf.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

If you would like a real challenge, use an editor to replicate one of these characters:
https://dmwiki.atomas.com/wiki/Conflux/ ... ient_Guild

I have never tried DM or CSB with them, but I did (after what felt like an eternity) finish Conflux with them. I'd say it's doable...
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Am I reading correctly that those characters all start with 1 Maximum HP?! That sounds pretty hardcore....

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Seems a bit too hardcore for my taste :shock:
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

jayrshaw wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:23 am Am I reading correctly that those characters all start with 1 Maximum HP?! That sounds pretty hardcore....

--Jay
Absolutely. They are known as the "Maleficent Guild" in Conflux. More info here:
https://dmwiki.atomas.com/wiki/Conflux/ ... ient_Guild

I don't think that DM would be too bad after war crying and throwing objects on the first level to gain a couple of levels. I'd imagine that carrying anything other than essential items would be extremely difficult (it was in Conflux).
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Wow - that's pretty crazy. I do believe it would be possible to complete the game with those characters, though....

--Jay
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

Post by Prince of Elves »

Well, people did finish Conflux with them so DM should be a walk in the park compared to that. ;)
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Wuuf!

jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

There's something kind of funny about a creature who looks like that being an Expert Fighter - congratulations on getting through the run so quickly!

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Not stranger than someone who looks like Tiggy being an expert fighter, or someone who looks like Halk being an expert wizard :lol:
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I did think it was pretty hilarious during my last run when I was able to get Halk all the way to Archmaster Wizard by equipping him with both the completed Firestaff and the Pendant Feral....

--Jay
RogerS
Craftsman

Post by RogerS »

Move aside Harry Potter. Halk is the new wizard in town :lol: