How to deal with Lord Chaos

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

How to deal with Lord Chaos

Post by Leslie »

You all know that at some time, Lord Chaos will show up while the party is on the way to the FulYa pit.
What is your way to deal with him? I normally try to lure him to some location a bit away from the place where I need to continue with the game, and the run quickly away from him. But is there a "correct" way to deal with him? Can he even be somehow "defeated", even if maybe just temporally? This is one of the few mysteries with CSB that have remained for me for the last years.
I even sometimes got cornered by Lord Chaos, which was then always a sure reload...
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re: How to deal with Lord Chaos

Post by Ian Clark »

He cannot be defeated as per DM as there is no Firestaff in CSB. You should avoid him by running past and if you need him to move out of the way, use War Cry or the Horn of Fear. Considering he's the "boss" monster, he can actually be scared.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

LOL... Lord Chaos can be scared away, but a simple screamer cannot. That is nice :)
Are there hackers out there who made themselves a firestaff available in CSB? Could that be used on Lord Chaos to defeat him?
My guess would be that fluxcage might work to hold him and fuse might work to teleport him away, but the complete defeat like in DM would most likely not be scripted in CSB. But that is just a guess.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

CSB does not include the code to manage the firestaff and the DM-like end of the game, so the answer is no, even if you add a firestaff in the dungeon with a dungeon editor it would not work.
However, I suppose it would be possible to build a custom version of the game engine from my ReDMCSB source code adding back the missing DM code parts that were removed in CSB, and then make it. But that is sort of a new game then...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Once when I was playing CSB in RTC, i for some reason decided to stop in the secret tunnel right before the Ful Ya Pit and start dumping all the random crap out of my inventory. I dunno why I hadn't done this earlier, nor why I chose to do it when I was right around the corner from finishing the game, but anyway, I had this pile of stuff on the floor as I stepped out through the false wall and saw Lord Chaos right ahead of me. I backed up into the secret section again but he followed me, so I just panic-grabbed an item from my pile-of-crap (a Ful bomb, it turned out) and lobbed it at him. And...blew him up. Because apparently in the RTC version of CSB he's bugged and only has 1hp or something :D.
Would not recommend in the "proper" version of the game, though ;).
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

IIRC (and I may not), I think it's possible to telefrag Chaos if you have enough luck and patience. He can't be frozen which makes it more difficult and there's only a few teleporters available. But I think we tested this once, at least in CSBWin.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I have a vague recollection of someone saying that they managed to trap him at the other side of the Ful Ya pit. Presumably this could occur due to his ability to teleport but I don't think he would have any logical reason to use it in CSB as Fuse is not available.

Did I just make this up?

Edit: I didn't:
viewtopic.php?t=31468