[Custom dungeon] Surgical Strike [RTC] [Sophia]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
agarules
Journeyman

Re: (RTC) New Dungeon! Surgical Strike (2.2)

Post by agarules »

It would be great to design a fantastic dungeon. Here's what I like and dislike:

Like: Good dungeon design with some non-linearality and not too much back-tracking.
Varied selection of party members with the re-incarnation option.
Rewards for finding a path less travelled with a reward that's well earned and well worth having at the end of it.
Re-playability.
Fantastic spells in an innovative magic system.
An end-of-game boss that's not like a walk in the park. Something to prove your worthiness.

Dislike: The opposites to all of the above.
Puzzles that take ages to solve (especially in the very first room) and then you fall down a hidden trap and die and forgot to save. Why?
Brainless enemies that seem to have a death wish.
Too many confusing teleporters.
False walls that you have to find to progress in the game. Having to tap on every wall just to find said wall. Why?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I like good puzzles.
I dislike non sense puzzles.
Logic is the essence for a good dungeon.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

terkio wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:09 pm Indeed, it is amazing what dungeons designers have been able to achieve with RTC.
This was so time consuming, testing and testing over and over again, I quit.
If you fancy another attempt at dungeon designing, try DSB. Its startup time is incredibly fast, and so it's much easier to test than RTC. It also now has a real-time visual editor: see and test the effects of your dungeon building right in the engine, in real-time!! :shock: It's pretty awesome -- and of course, developed by Sophia, the mind behind Surgical Strike, so you know it'll be good :-)
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Yes, I am aware of how good DSB is.
I had a go at it a couple of years ago, indeed it is very interesting. Thanks to using LUA it opens to unlimited possibilities. Just with what is offered by the editor and examples, you already have more than with RTC and no need for brain warping.
I did not go ahead because I do not like scripting languages, was to lazy to learn another one and my artistic skills are limited, there are much better people for that. All, I am, may be good at, is boring tedious puzzles, this is not enough for a worthwhile dungeon game.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Enjoying this dungeon mod very much. Still in the early stages, having re-incarnating 4 of your superb champions. Did them one by one (saving each time) and then creating a new game and adding each character with a new face and a new name). Obviously, they know nothing, having been re-incarnated, so I'm building them up, which I like to do. They are at about journeyman level and are doing alright.
(Finally), my question. When/where can I find a flask?

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Found a flask and then couldn't resist "Greed", just to see what happens...serves me right. Good job I'd saved game first.

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Playing using RTC v.0.49 and it never crashes. Only issue is the monsters that sometimes attack you through walls, but I can live with that, as my party are pretty strong. Did download RTC v.0.37 and it worked but wouldn't let me play "full screen" so went back to RTC v.0.49.
Returning to already visited areas can open up new paths. Just when you think that you are stuck and find a new path and think that that wasn't there before and so you carry on finding more things and keys and trying to remember where a certain door was.
Found that alchemy area and made the potion. 6663 drank it and died. Serves me right. Re-loaded my save and just picked up what I found as they will probably be needed later. Entered monster pen and killed everything.
Have used 2 emerald keys and am looking for 2 sapphire keys but have no idea where they are. I have one key left and it's a cross one, just like me, because I can't remember that darn cross key door that I didn't have the key for earlier.

Dalamar
Neophyte

Re: [Custom dungeon] Surgical Strike [RTC] [Sophia]

Post by Dalamar »

Love this dungeon. Haven't finished it yet, but am enjoying it immensely. Thank You Sophia!
luke41
Craftsman

Re: [Custom dungeon] Surgical Strike [RTC] [Sophia]

Post by luke41 »

After several years I decided to try again Surgical Strike, remembering I got stuck somewhere and gave up.
I still had my old maps (done in Excel!), it helped.

Unfortunately I forgot the suggestions that the game should be played with RTC 037. I usually played most games with 049 - so I started SS as well with RTC049.
And had several problems, where after reading this topic I cannot be sure are these technical problems or riddles..

So I am ready to re-start the game from the beginning using RTC037 - but please help me how to configure the game so I DONT have fullscreen.
I just like the small 640x400 in a small window, having my Excel-maps on the other side of the monitor :-)

I tried to set the parameter FULLSCREEN NO from 049-Config, but I fear it does not work with RTC 037, right?...