Introduction and hello!

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ksloth
Neophyte

Introduction and hello!

Post by Ksloth »

Hello everyone! I am a long time fan of the games, having first come across DM on my (back then) girlfriend's stepdad's Atari ST500, probably '87 or '88 I would imagine. I grew up in the 70's with AD&D first edition, so seeing things like Wizardry and Dungeon Master translate my favorite pastime into a digital format was really quite something. I've been a fan of the dungeon crawler genre ever since.

I played quite a bit of DMII on the Sega CD (still have the mouse!) and recently learned of the existence of DM Nexus, which blew my mind, then blew my mind again when I realized someone had gone through and did the English translation. Got me to dust off the Saturn and dig it out of hibernation, and I'm now enjoying that one quite a bit.

I also saw Pierre's excellent job on the French Nexus manual translation and am working on editing the .pdf into a native English version so that people can download that as well.

Happy to be here, and happy to see that DM is still so beloved. Cheers!
Ksloth
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Introduction and hello!

Post by ChristopheF »

Welcome here Ksloth!
Ksloth
Neophyte

Post by Ksloth »

Thanks so much! Glad to be here. 😊
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hi, welcome to the forum :D. Always nice to see new people showing up who remember the game, even after all this time. Or people who have only just discovered it. Feel free to chat/reminisce about the game. Did you only play DM or did you play CSB as well?
We also have a Discord, there are probably a bunch of links floating around in various threads. Feel free to join - a bunch of us are members both here and there :).
Neophyte

Post by Ksloth »

Hi Ameena and thanks for the welcome!
I played DM when it first came out (I’m 52… so a bit of an old fogey hah)..

I played it at that time on my dads 286 and I was extremely impressed that Dungeon Master came with a parallel port sound card, as our pc had none.

I never got around to playing CSB but I did pick up Legend of Skullkeep when it came out on Sega CD. I played that with the sega mouse and it was quite fun and challenging.

I am a big fan of dungeon crawlers.. usually turn based suck as Wizardry as opposed to the realtime ones like DM, Grimrock, but I make and exception for the DM titles because I love them so much.

Currently enjoying DM Nexus’s fine English translation on my original Saturn hardware!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ah cool. Yeah I played DM/CSB on the Atari (I was like, five or six at the time), then later we got DM2 on the PC when that came out. DM2 was okay but a bit short, and the early, outdoors part was more fun than the later bits inside the castle - the machinery thing was annoying and of course there were the bloody Attack Minions constantly showing up for the rest of the game once you enter the castle too :P.
If you want to play DM/CSB again I would personally recommend downloading CSBWin, a port of the Atari version made by Paul Stevens (one of the long-term members here). It has both DM and CSB, and you can import from the former to the latter as you could back in the day. Saving and loading the game is a bit quicker than it was back then, too ;).