Best champions - an analytical approach

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Re: Best champions - an analytical approach

Post by jayrshaw »

I like Hissa a lot, too [you can probably tell based on the avatar I've been using here on the Dungeon Master forums]. I used to play a humanoid lizard / snake character in a text-based online RPG I played throughout my later high school and college years, so I always thought it was cool that they included this type of character in Dungeon Master.

My favorite team in Dungeon Master is Hissa, Halk, Stamm, and Sonja because I tend to prefer characters with high starting Strength values - one issue with Hissa I discovered when using this team is that his Maximum Stamina will lag behind the other characters with higher starting Maximum Stamina values. By the end of my last playthrough using the group I just described, Hissa was the only character who finished with less than 999 Maximum Stamina....

--Jay
pjs
Novice

Post by pjs »

I had never become used stat buffing. I tried it while playing DM with Syra and Chani. I started by buffing wisdom in level 2/3 whenever the mana was starting to hit the maximum. Later, when there was excess mana, I also buffed strength. I didn't try to buff the other stats, they seemed to be less essential. The result was that I never even slept after level 2/3, I just kept on using the regenerating mana. Obviously, the stats weren't enough for very heavy use of fireballs, but in most cases the swords and axes worked just as well. In the end, the champions were expert except adept at priest. (I didn't bother training that much just for the sake of it.)

I have also been using the similar strategy in CSB (two reincarnated champions, initial skill buffing done with the mummies and rock piles in the prison). IIRC the only location I slept after the prison was with the place with all the dragons and illusionary walls.
Thorham
Apprentice

Post by Thorham »

jayrshaw wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 amIf your mana pools aren't high enough to support buffing all of the buffable stats to the level I just described, I would just layer the buffs until each stat reaches 120+ and then refresh the buffs when the stats begin falling into the ~100 to ~110 range.
I'll probably just stick to strength. Take the brute force approach.
jayrshaw wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 amThis should be far easier to maintain because buff potions are much more effective if the stat you are buffing is below 120....
And there's also the need for some fire balls. Perhaps best to stick to two stats. Seems enough anyway.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah - being used to having characters with really high Maximum Mana levels leaves me a bit unsure of how difficult it is to maintain various levels of buffs with lower Maximum Mana levels. Regardless, if you actually plan to go toe-to-toe with any dangerous enemies, it may still be a good idea to use Dexterity buffs [in addition to Shield spells/potions] prior to doing so.....

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I tend to prefer stronger champions because I'm a packrat and hoarder. Both in-game and in real life.
Also I've noticed that champions like Tiggy, Gando, and Wu Tse tend to be rather fragile even later in the dungeons, such that they can be 1-hit-ko by a mummy, trollin, rockpile, scorpion, or magenta worm even when I've worked on their fighter and ninja levels. I don't even need to mention couatls. Chani and Boris can also be fragile. I tend to avoid those five for that reason.
Then again, I favor the ones with the highest carrying capacity due to my packrat nature.
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

I must say that throughout the many times that I've done a full run of the game, I don't think I have ever chosen a different (main) character than Zed. Maybe once I dropped in Layla or Syra for company, but overall I prefer to just run a one-man team.

Even when I tell myself that next time I will do my first run with 4 players... I end up selecting Zed and going in alone. :) From a numbers-viewpoint I don't think any of the all-round characters are bad (the OP mentioned 5 of them) so if you go in with just a single character you might as well stick to one of them.
Ameena wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:00 pm Oh yeah, the fountain room near the Rat Room is a pretty common "safe spot" for most people, I think, being how it's got easy access to water, food, and the Central Stairwell.
Interesting. I've always wondered where people "deposit all their belongings for storage" and for me it has always been in that room that generates living watermelons (screamers). Is the fountain room near the Rat Room a better location when it comes to getting back there more frequently? Any other hidden gems in terms of safe rooms with edible creatures generated nearby? :)
jayrshaw wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:57 am Yeah - the next time I play through this game, I should probably consider whether I actually need to hoard so much stuff, myself (or carry as much as I normally do in my characters' inventories).....
I've done the same many times, telling myself that the next time I won't be bothered collecting so much stuff... and then I hoard it all anyway. :) The next time I'm hoping to at least limit myself when it comes to my main weapon and armour to at least not lug around more than I can use/wear in combat. Maybe this would be a good thread to start on the forums: "Best weapon+armour combo"
jayrshaw wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:31 amThe ending in the SNES version of the game isn't bad - the ending sequence shows maps of the various floors of the dungeon rotating in the background
I assume it shows hidden places as well, even if the player didn't manage to access them before completing the game? If so this makes me wonder how many players back then could have reverse-engineered level maps from this, allowing them to discover new areas the next time they played...
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Aster said: Interesting. I've always wondered where people "deposit all their belongings for storage" and for me it has always been in that room that generates living watermelons (screamers). Is the fountain room near the Rat Room a better location when it comes to getting back there more frequently? Any other hidden gems in terms of safe rooms with edible creatures generated nearby?

I think this is the best place. After opening some places up, this is easy to get to quickly, you have plenty of space to drop extra junk, the water fountain is right there, plus the rat-room is easy to visit for plenty of food. I always use a skeleton key for the hall around the corner; quick access to upper levels and the wing key gives access to the lowest levels.
"Wuuf's big brother"
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I didn't really get a chance to scrutinize the dungeon maps which are shown during the ending of the SNES version of the game - you don't get to see each map for very long, so if you wanted to look at them carefully, you would probably have to record the ending sequence so you can pause on each of the maps.....

--Jay
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

This page http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/934 has both the maps shown during the SNES ending and the actual dungeon maps.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Thank you for posting the link, Christophe. Like you mention in your notes, the maps which display in the game's ending sequence do not seem to be entirely accurate - however, it's still neat to see the maps of the floors rotating around once you complete the game.

--Jay
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

Merci Christophe, great link! As mentioned above it's interesting that the level maps from the end sequence aren't 100% representative of the actual levels, but if someone was able to film them then this would have been a great resource when playing the game all over again. :)
MasterWuuf wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:08 am I think this is the best place. After opening some places up, this is easy to get to quickly, you have plenty of space to drop extra junk, the water fountain is right there, plus the rat-room is easy to visit for plenty of food. I always use a skeleton key for the hall around the corner; quick access to upper levels and the wing key gives access to the lowest levels.
So the rat place is preferable to the screamer room overall? I used to store all my belongings in the screamer room so the next time I play will be the first time I switch to the rat place. Now if only I could figure out what I actually need to carry (and what to dump and forget about) then the game would be so much easier...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah the Rat Room is just a bit more accessible, as you can use a skelly key to open the Central Stairwell right around the corner, assuming you've been finding the other keys to open other levels too, to more easily get back there. The Central Stairwell only goes up to Level Eight, so from there you'd have to backtrack through the previous couple of levels as well (a pretty straightforward route, at least) in order to get back to the Screamer Room. Rat drumsticks are way better food, as well (and the rats themselves will give better exp for fighting them, as they are deeper in the dungeon which means there is a higher exp multiplier).
Note that if you're not aware, there is one too few skelly keys to open the entire stairwell. I tend to skip Level Twelve because sod going back there once I've got the Master Key :D.
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Nowadays, I tend to play with just one character and complete a lengthy training session in the Screamer room (around Expert in all 4 abilities). With only one character to feed, I find that the food scattered around the dungeon is more than enough so very rarely use the rat room.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I tend to play with two characters but still loot pretty much all the food I find (except worm rounds), eating cheese first because it's the heaviest, so by the time I finish the game I'm still working through my screamer slices and have had to leave a pile of dead dragon on the floor when it fell :D. Last time I played I was skipping most of the non-food loot because I know I never use it. And then got to the Riddle Room on Level Six and realised I'd skipped the bow or something and had to go back and get it (yes, I know you don't have to solve all the riddles, but I like to anyway).

Post by aster »

Ameena wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:08 pmRat drumsticks are way better food, as well (and the rats themselves will give better exp for fighting them, as they are deeper in the dungeon which means there is a higher exp multiplier).
Note that if you're not aware, there is one too few skelly keys to open the entire stairwell. I tend to skip Level Twelve because sod going back there once I've got the Master Key :D.
Good point, the drumsticks were always a more valuable source of food I remember, much better than the watermelons (screamer slices!).

I need to relearn all the keys before going back in, but if there's any level I would prefer not to go back to it's probably L7 with all the ghosts and that huge open space!
Ian Clark wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:37 pm Nowadays, I tend to play with just one character and complete a lengthy training session in the Screamer room (around Expert in all 4 abilities). With only one character to feed, I find that the food scattered around the dungeon is more than enough so very rarely use the rat room.
That's always been my place to camp out and develop my character before moving on, especially since creatures start to get quite nasty soon afterwards. But I'm starting to think whether that should be done deeper down for more XP when fighting creatures, as Ameena mentioned above.