[April Fool's] Ray Tracing

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

[April Fool's] Ray Tracing

Post by Sophia »

In my continued quest to improve the graphics of DSB (because of course why would we continue to play Dungeon Master other than the graphics) I have added ray tracing to the DSB engine. I'm proud to report that it now runs at a very Amiga-authentic 6 frames per second on most graphics cards, while offering some improvements in graphical detail that you might even notice if you look really hard! If you want even more Amiga ray tracing authenticity, there is an optional mode to turn the dungeon floor into a yellow and green checkerboard, replace all dungeon objects with spheres, and replace your party with guys juggling mirrored balls.

If you're in need of a more powerful GPU, I've got plenty of slightly used DSB-branded GPUs for sale after my DSB-themed cryptocurrency didn't quite work out. However, if you prefer to make do with more modest hardware, I've also added 'technically ray tracing' mode in which all graphics are replaced with poorly traced pictures of a manta ray. This provides significant performance improvements over the standard ray tracing engine with only the one minor drawback that the game is basically unplayable.
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

Re: Ray Tracing

Post by Prince of Elves »

I'll try the manta version, that's sooo cool. Will its trace look anything like the magic footsteps? And what do I get if I trace the ray down? Do I need to fluxcage it? Questions over questions...