Graphics sizes

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Graphics sizes

Post by beowuuf »

Does the engine have any error checking on graphics sizes (I'm hopeing it doesn't :) )? By error checking, I mean rejecting any floor graphic in game that isn't in the area x,y of the floor

There could be some tricks without extra coding if not. Having floor objects and wall objects able to project grapohics to other places like the ceiling or central area, for example.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Graphics sizes

Post by George Gilbert »

Nominally no it doesn't, but if you're planning on clicking on it then it has to be somewhere near the floor.

For example, you could make a levitating water puddle and that would be fine, but if you wanted a levitating pair of boots, then you wouldn't be able to pick them up as you couldn't click on the floor to get them!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So in the levitating boots example, there would need to be something like a shadow on the floor to click on? OK, cool : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Yep - a shadow would be fine (as then the graphic would actucally be "on" the floor).
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

hi George! :)

Post by cowsmanaut »

Long time no see.. :)
I have a question related to this.. Could you not give items an Icon/sprite status so that no mater where it is moved on the screen it is 'grabable'?

It seems that otherwise you have strict rules set about where things are in each layout. (by layout I mean character backpack and dungeon view)

Though, you have things in alcoves and can pick them up.. they are not really on the floor. You hav buttons which can be activated but not taken.. however still are manipulated.

It just might be interesting. annother thing that could be cool and related to this is to make a moving object.. something that floats about the dungeon. you can do this with object teleporters in DM.. however to make it a floating object.. this way you could have something like a Fairy flying about, and catch it.

just an idea