Quick Questions...

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DMPhreak
Neophyte

Quick Questions...

Post by DMPhreak »

First off.. Let me say. George Gilbert, You my friend, are the man of the hour in my books. I love RTC. Thank you!

ok.. So. When you finally release the script formats, will we all be able to create new items and stuff like that or just put new faces on old items with no real change to the damage etc.. ?

then, When you finally decide that your scripting language is successfully complete, will you release a tutorial and other such text/word documents to explain what every thing does? or just answer questions on this board for a long time?

Someone mentioned newDM or something along those lines earlier in this board.. I'm not quite sure what newDM is, but, ithink, and correct me if i'm wrong, you said, the scripting is going to be similar to that of newDM? if so.. would it be good for me to get newDM and try to create dungeons and such?

thanks for bearing with me. :)

-=DMPhreak=-
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Quick Questions...

Post by beowuuf »

I can try and answer one of those now until George can answer it all more fully.

Maybe it was me you saw mentioned NewDM, which was an old incarnation (or prototype, really) of RTC. As such, looking at it would be the same as looking at an older version of RTC, the only change being that it was driven directly from text files, whereas RTC is driven from .rtc files that are formed from initial text files.
The problem is that as a prototype it had lots missing (like doors, stairs, ability to select champions and interact wit hthe game!), and since then in RTC, the format has changed almost every incarnation. So seeing those .txt files wouldn't really give you any help.
I believe its main strength was to be able to design graphical sets, but now the override function lets you do that with the RTC engine too!

<p>
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year one and all

- Michael (Beowuuf)</p>
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
DMPhreak
Neophyte

Re: Re: Quick Questions...

Post by DMPhreak »

Well I guess I'll just have to wait for George to have some time to answer the rest of my questions. :)

TY though.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

like where is New DM?

Post by cowsmanaut »

NewDM is actually based on RTC and later became more a basis for later versions of RTC from what I remember. It's format is text based and then is compressed like a zip compression (but not zip) for space and called an RTC file.

The text format is still a lot like the NewDM format and so learning it will actually give you some insight into the RTC format once it is released. However as Beowuuf said it will not be the same. So there is little point in building complex maps for NewDM in hopes that they will transfer to RTC directly.

There is likey going to be someone here (there have been offers already) who will create a GUI for building maps much like DMUTE for RTC based on the documentation George provides.

I think though that from the state that RTC is in.. I think it would be a wise Idea if George were to release the dungeon format as is and let someone work with him on a GUI so when he makes any changes to it he can pass them to the dungeon creation kit guy and thus a new version of the editing would come out with the new version of RTC and so on and so on..

anyway, if you go George's web site I think he has NewDM there.. if not it can be found at the old DM CLone project website.. along with a bunch of other tools