Sprite layering and positioning

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Sprite layering and positioning

Post by Gambit37 »

Having played a bit more, there are serious problems with sprite layering, especially on level 4 (see the Level 4 thread for more detail). A few points:

1) Worms can cross each other when moving from square to square so a north-south facing worm can overlay an east-west facing worm which looks odd.

2) Worms appear under objects

3) Worms appear beneath wall graphics

I think DM didn't bother drawing monsters if you clearly couldn't see them, but RTC seems to be drawing al monsters all the time, regardless. If this remains the case, I imagine there will be problems on later levels with larger monsters such as Oitu showing through the wrongs parts of walls.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Sprite layering and positioning

Post by George Gilbert »

1) This is an innevitable consequence of allowing monsters to be independent of each other and not have to move about in groups. I tried for ages to make this work without it looking silly, but if you don't allow the worms to occupy two adjacent sides of the tile then they can't turn round and go round corners!

2 and 3) are silly bugs though (they arise as tiles are drawn from back to front, worms appear in the middle, and objects at the front so they're drawn on top); this clearly needs changing.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Some more layering and positioning issues:

Post by Gambit37 »

Check out this page to see a few more problems - stairs viewed from a distance are being displayed but shouldn't be, and door pillars are drawn over dropped objects:

<a href="http://www.resonant.freeuk.com/rtc_gfx_ ... ors.htm</a>
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Worms crossing each other is fine, but on Level 10 the were a scorpion, 2 gigglers and a skeleton on the same square in the trapped monster room.

I can see the point about blocking in 2 square monsters, however since I've played through I have rarely had two worms follow me, and even if they did and got stuck at a junction, if you enable the 180 degree flip to happen without a clear space needed, then one worm would eventually work it's way out. That way things like rats (you can see that would look odd) and the above won't happen, whichdoes look odd (plus even single creatures can stack up on the same part of the tile)!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Layering also bad near the roof:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/beowuuf/Image6 ... ge6.jpg</a>
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.08