Spells (v0.07)

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Spells (v0.07)

Post by Gambit37 »

DES IR SAR (darkness): Still does not return to previous light level when the spell expires. At least it doesn't seem too - difficult to test this as I don't know how long the spell is supposed to last, and obviously the dungeon continues to get darker while the spell is active.

DES VEN (poison blob): Can kill everything on a tile with a single powerful bolt. It should only affect the creature it strikes.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Spells (v0.07)

Post by beowuuf »

The darkness spell was quite short lived from what I recall, and I felt was the most useless spell in the game. Giving it a permanent effect at least makes it more interesting (if it is permanent). I'd vote to keep it as is...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I never really found a practical use for it, but I guess there must have been one or FTL wouldn't have implemented it. I guess that some creatures don't attack if it's too dark - implying that their eyesight ain't too good...

It's definitely a weird spell though!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

poison bolt/blob - it also would disappear into a wall when fired at it(though the graphic would still appaear), now it's as fatal as a fireball. I prefer the old system..anyone else?

light - I cast an on (=) level ful spell once in a blue moon when my wizard had no mana (and he had noooooone spare at one worm generator area for a long time) and i have yet to see the light level degrade AT ALL. I spend way to long on level 4 and am finishing 5 now, and still no degradation! At the very least it would half as only one spell should still be active.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Light - the darkness spell in DM, even if cast by an archmaster, is exceptionally short lived. So apart from a defensive spell against creatures, it does seem useless (and I don't recall a monster that couldn't kick your arse in the dark ust as easily). In RTC the darkness spell is more useful, but both light and darkness in this version seem permanent, I have never had to recast light, and it took about 5 darkness spells at LO - EE before I even dented the light level!

Poison cloud - definately too powerful - one ON and one UM level poison clouds against a frozen demon almost instantly killed it. I can see why this is a tricky spell though, as it's timing and damage are hard to quantify.

George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.08