Bizarre in the extreme!

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
theadder
Journeyman

Bizarre in the extreme!

Post by theadder »

I can't think what could have caused this one.

I descended the stairs onto the level with the treasure stores where you meet the green slime monsters for the first time. I had been practicing my ninja skills and had just thrown a bunch of stuff down the stairs so there were a pile of 35-40 objects at my feet.
When I saw the green slime things coming, I starting picking things up from the floor and throwing them at the oncoming nasties. This is where it got wierd. The items I was throwing landed one square in front of me BUT ALSO CONTINUED DOWN THE CORRIDOR FOR ANOTHER TWO SPACES. For every item I threw, it split into two identical items and landed on two different squares until the corridor in front of me was littered with clones.
When I went to pick up one of the items that had landed further along the corridor, its clone vanished at the same time. When I put it down again, the clone reappeared where I had come from. Obviously the game was only treating each item as a single object, but drawing them in two places.
Even more bizarre, when I stood a couple of spaces from the bottom of the stairs after this had happened and threw objects, they bounced off the empty space in front of me as though it was a wall, made a thumping sound and I took damage!!!

I don't know if this is unique to the area or a general bug, but boy was it strange!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Bizarre in the extreme!

Post by Gambit37 »

I think you should get an award for that - gotta be the most spectacular bug so far... :)
theadder
Journeyman

Post by theadder »

Come to think of it, I also noticed that the slime monsters reappeared a second or two after I killed them and then vanished again after another moment - sort of a latent ghosting! I would imagine whatever caused that was what went on to cause the rest - perhaps the game didn't like the fact that there were so many items in the corridor+monsters+things flying through the air.

Hasn't happened since. Thank god :-)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Sounds very wierd to me. If this sort of thing ever happens again, can you save the game and send the *.sav file to me and then I can have a look and try to see what's causing it. Preferably though, can you find a set of repeatable commands (i.e. pile up 3 throwing stars on square 4,6 on level 4 and throw then south) that always reproduces the bug?

Clearly if it's not repeatable then that makes it tricky!

Hmm - probably my second fave bug so far - the dragon still wins ;-)
theadder
Journeyman

Post by theadder »

I'll let you know if it happens again. I have to say my play style is very unique - I had just thrown those objects right the way across the level above just to train my ninja skills. By level 3, all my characters were expert ninjas.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Fixed for V0.08