Just a thought... about forums and links

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Just a thought... about forums and links

Post by beowuuf »

...and not something I've been able to fine a way to add myself, but as this has become the hip, happening place to be for RTC, maybe placing similar links about downloading for downloading the game and George's site?

Also, while adding links, how about a few more for the other forums, the the codex, the chaos site, and so on somewhere?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well gambit added the game download link for RTC, feel free to add others there fuzzface. I didn't give you access and power to make you look important. ;) You have it so you can make the changes you feel need to be made to open up the community. :)

Perhaps a new subtopic called links down at the bottom with a sticky that says read before you post, and in that it should say this is for posting links for DM related projects.. or something like that? This way hopefully there aren't links to crap or conversations that go on forever, yet still allow others to add links.

or, Make a links page and then simply add a link to that on the main page of the forum? You'd likley need to ask Gambit how he did that to the front page.. or simply ask him to do it and you can make the links page since you have all of them already.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, but it highlights my innability to add anything else lol

And thank goodness someone else has no clue how gambit added the above the forums message
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's easy peasy, but if no-one else wants to start ripping apart the phpBB code, I'm happy to add anything else that you want. Perhaps a drop-dwon list somewhere near the top of the page?

If so, I can grab all the links from dmjump, fuzzyface, and do just that...?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOl, i refuse to bow to peer pressure and change my name to fuzzy face, even if people think beowuuf's a girl's name!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry, but it sounded so cute! :D Not that I wanna get into all that... :?

Anyway, check out the new quick links bar at the top of each page. If people want to add it to it, either send me the link or let me know if you want to do it yourself and I'll tell you what to do.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm, something seems to have broken. The "Who's online?" panel at the bottom of the index page isn't listing who's online... and I'm not sure why. Will investigate tomorrow and try and fix it. Don't know why that should have changed, I haven't done anything to that bit of the code....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

A " in the wrong place? And thanks for putting the link u!

So how are you changing this - are you just editing the .php index file through ftp? Or am I missing an obvious admin option somewhere?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Very good idea, Beowuuf. Is Paul Stevens' download (where he places his DMBuild versions) already listed ? Thanks for making it happen, Gambit!

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Beowuuf: The forums use a combination of a PHP driven 'engine' and a whole bunch of TPL files which are HTML files but with special variables embedded to display the data. However, it's a bit more complicated than that because quite of bit of the HTML is also built dynamically by the PHP pages, so it's tricky to find where all the stuff is handled... For the links bar at the top, I've separated it out to another file, so if other people want to change it, it's a simple case of modifying one file.

@PITD: Paul Stevens links webpage now added to the Quick links.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, I have discovered what is causing the problems with the Who's Online panel. It's a version problem. I've been using the original files for phpBB 2.0.4 and modifying them, then uploading them here. However, these forums use an older version of phpBB (2.0.2) even though they are actually reporting the version as 2.0.0.

The version mismatch is causing the problems, so I need to upgrade the phpBB software. I'll be doing that over the next half hour, so if you experience any problems or anything weird, just keep trying until the problem goes away...
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Gambit, can you update the "Quick Links" list to replace "Enyclopedia" by "Encyclopaedia" (missing 'c' and 'a')?
Thanks
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

ALL FIXED!!!

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, everything is now fixed. I've upgraded the forum software to version 2.0.4, which has fixed the problem with the Who's Online panel.

I've also added a link to ian's forums and made those spelling corrections to the Quick Links.

Hopefully, this will be everything for a while, until I do it all again for ian's forums... ;)