some files corrupt after transfer to new location?

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

some files corrupt after transfer to new location?

Post by cowsmanaut »

anyone notice some files corrupt after transfer to the new location? In the admin panel there is an image "logo_chronicles_med.gif" that only loads half way for me. I grabbed it and tried to check it in photoshop and photoshop chokes on it eventually giving an "unexpected end of file" error. Let us hope nothing else has become corrupted. Or is it just my end?

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, it was broken for me too. I've re-uploaded it so it should be OK now. I also took the opportunity to optimise some of the images in the Chronicles theme. I got the dark wood background down from 67Kb to less than 3Kb. It's so dark and has so little detail you can get away with it.

You know, I really despair about people who call themselves designers yet have no clue about image compression. There's so much un-optimised crap on the web it really pisses me off. I visited a site today about mediaeval weaponry and all their images were over 100Kb; I tested a couple and got them down to less than 20Kb each with no noticeable loss of quality.

If people took the time to learn this stuff, the web would be such a better place.... oh well.....! :-(
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

funny you should say that. I made that background texture. Though I admit I did not optimise it since I figured it was already pretty small. Anyway, it's not part of the initial set, so I can take the blame for that part of it. The logo at the top as well.. obviously. That much compression gain though is pretty good.. I guess I need to slap my hand on that one for not checking.

moo
Last edited by cowsmanaut on Sat May 17, 2003 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Heh he! :) Well, at least you're not one of these people who can't take criticism, even when it's in the third person... or something! :)