DM Graphics set

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

DM Graphics set

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm renewing my efforts on the DM Gfx set as I mentioned I would earlier.

however, one detail of this renewed process is that I'm doing it in fine fresh 3D.. true 3D with true lighting.

This means I have to do some fancy tricks with the perspective and the blocks. There are also prospects that I have not undertaken before that could indeed be taken advantage of. one of those is wall edge sort of Bandages. If this could be incorperated, one could essentially build strips that would run along the edge of the walls. or perhaps something to strip the edges. Anyway, if this makes no sense I will post some images to support what I'm talking about later on.

I would like to start a thread here basically that will involve everyone in the process of making a complete set and the porcess by which that is attained.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sounds very intriguing! I'm really looking forward to playing DM with an updated look, but keeping the same 'feel' as the original game.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Bandages", any images to explain would be very useful...

I'm still keen on doing my own graphics replacement for RTC, but I won't be treading on anyone's toes: I want to do it for myself, and also as a way of getting back in to drawing which I haven't done for years. Plus, it will be quite a different style to your stuff, Cowsmanaut, so it'll give people a choice! ;)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I wouldn't mind having the chance to work on it with you instead knowing how long it's taken me to get this far. Plus you do some 3D stuff don't you?

I'll put together the images to explain. We'll need George on board for this though as it's part of the drawin routine.

moo
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

here we go..

the first image we see them together and ofcourse they match up nicely. This is the way they are made so that they do this well. However in the second image we see just what happens when we take one away, We are left with a straight edge. Not too pretty. I mean in real life we would have a smoother or rougher edge to show for the seperation. In the third image we see a basic "Band-Aid" applied to the edge. Just a thin strip to fix the too straight edge.

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, right, I see what you mean. As you say, it's not going to be possible unless George modifies the drawing routines... would be interesting to see whether it's an addition he's willing to make.

I guess it would have to be an optional parameter that the designer can specify as no-one would want to go back and change the exisitng DM and CSB graphics to fit this new method...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, it would only be required for the new artwork as the old artwork is obviously so blocky you can't tell the difference.

Anyway, it's something I've thought about since I started this set and it's always bugged me. This next set I want to make very much more realistic. The result being that I will need to have this band-aid thing to make it work.

moo
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Would if be possible as your going this is 3D to post the textures as well so that they can be used in other games like Dungeon Maker?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sadly, no I don't do 3D. It's something I'd like to learn the basics of, but I've never had the time, what with everything else I'm trying to learn!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Oooh cool. If you manage to replace just the walls, floor and ceiling, this would make RTC look seriously sweet.. Looking fwd to seeing the rest.
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Damn, and I thought you did do 3D.. wonder why. Weid, anyway, you could always do all the interface props. like anything that went into backpaks or hands. They all need to be done.

Andyboy, I already did one set with more than just walls. it was walls, floor, ceiling, fountains, doors, pits, and some pressure pads. Oh also mirrors I think.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Can you download these tile sets for use in RTC, I would love to have a look at them and It would be a good way for me to write the graphics changing tutorial in the guide.

Also, a texture is basically the same as a picture, but when tiled it doesnt look strange, like a picture of a section of wall, when tiled looks like a full brick wall. (sorry if you already knew this). There are texture tools out there I will try and locate a link and post it here.
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Andyboy, I think I've confused you. I've got no problems making the walls fit together. It's when they are seperated that there is an issue. That sharp edge I was reffering to above.

I've been making seamless textures/tiles since about 1990 back on my amiga. So yeah, I know about that kind of thing. Thanks anyway.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Didnt mean to preach to the converted. Sorry Cows. :). I thought someone else actually wanted to know what a textrure was when compared to a picrture.
Regards,

Andy
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Just wonder how much you going to remake are you going to do everythink including Monsters/Objects
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Been thinking about the issue of bandages, and have a question Cow: In your example above, is the edge of the overlayed bandage still straight? Or are you intending to apply a mask colour that would be made transparent? Without a mask colour, it seems a bit pointless!

Here's what I mean (albeit quick and dirty):

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

That might work well actually. But yes they were straight.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

latest of my work for the new wall set. I've mannaged to Con Gambit into helping me with objects and the like. Perhaps this time the set will get done. Though us both being procrastinators.. don't hold your breath. ;)

moo

andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Lookin mighty fine there gents. Keep up the good work :)
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Love the walls, very nice, fabulous lighting! However, I think the floor is ill-matched. The walls just appear to be floating...

I believe there may be a problem with the lighting though, I'll have to check it out. I think RTC flips end graphics so your lighting might get swapped round which will look really weird. I'll check it out.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Should be OK, RTC flips both ends together, so it should work both ways! Yay!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes the floors are mismatched.. I thought so as well but I needed something to put in with the wall.The floor will be redone.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

technical details aside i think the set is shaping up to be frickin' fantastic!
doesn't lose the atmosphere or feel of DM while making it a much more real, just makes it very 3D and rubs the edge off the older feeling graphical set
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

does the floor look better now?

moo
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Great! I'm looking forward playing RTC with such a set of grafix.
I hope implementing these grafix into existing dungeons won't be to difficult?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Looks fantastic Cows, not sure , but it appears a little too dark. If you contrast that with a full light level in original DM, there is quite a difference.

This looks about half way to complete darkness.

Please dont take that as criticism, it looks wicked and I cant wait to try them out :)
Regards,

Andy