Length of the game

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
theadder
Journeyman

Length of the game

Post by theadder »

The thing that let DM2 down for me was that it ended unexpectedly and was a total anticlimax.

I remember spending months playing dungeon master and chaos strikes back, exploring every nook and cranny. Puzzles would sometimes take days to work out, and I'd go to school and we'd all try to work out how to solve the puzzle.

Then, DM2 came out in Japan aeons before it did over here, and I had the demo about two years before the game appeared in the shops. When it finally came out, I was all hyped up.

I started playing, and found the first area in the gardens to be highly annoying and nothing like what I expected from Dungeon Master - the atmosphere of DM, to me, was stone low resolution walls, not outside with rain and lightning. I enjoyed the exploring of small rooms and mysterious corridors in the original, and now I was faced with large open spaces which I didn't like.

The point is, because I knew that the idea was to get into the castle, I saw this as basically an introduction. It took me not more than a few hours to get into the castle, and then I thought "right, now the game begins - I'll be exploring dark corridors and fighting great new monsters for months."
Then I went up a couple of levels in the castle in a few hours and came to the big room with the generator thing, went through the warp doodad and came across Chaos. At this point, I had been playing for about a day and was looking forward to months of excitement. I thought the game was just starting.
Guess what - that was the end.

At this point in time, CD rom's were becoming all the rage and were being touted as being able to hold TONS. Since it had taken me months to complete the original DM and CSB, and after all the hype, I was fully expecting DM2 on a whole CD rom to take a couple of years and contain hundreds of complex levels instead of the 12 or so in DM.

Boy, was I dissapointed.
dmologist
Journeyman

the shortsidedness of DM2.

Post by dmologist »

well it wasn't the rain and outside that buged me as much.... it was the super small area's... it was all too easy. even if there were puzzles and stuff the area's were alway's too short... but i tinhk interplay was busy working on stonekeep(now there is a KICKASS GAME!)

p.s. if you don't have stonekeep then your TOTALLY MISSING OUT!!!!!!! I like DM2 alot but Stonekeep just feels more of a DM sequal then skullkeep does. PErhaps after I get NExus riped and uploaded someplace i'll rip my sotnekeep cd version.
theadder
Journeyman

Stonekeep

Post by theadder »

Yep, couldn't agree more.
Stonekeep is a great game - exactly how DM2 should've been. My own personal favourites would have to be Stonekeep and the original Lands of Lore.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Re: Length of the game

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Yo, I just played Lands of Lore for the first time last week, and I think it's pretty cool for its age. Still, I gave up on it fairly quickly because I kept getting killed by everything no matter which character I used.

I agree with theadder's assessment of DM2's size. The game took up 25 megs of a 650-meg disc, and I was sorely disappointed. I, too, expected it to be huge. Still, I think it's one of the greatest games I've played, and I like it better than DM simply because it feels more open and free. I'm not all that fond of dungeon romps.
sucinum
Pal Master

TOO short

Post by sucinum »

i really needed ONE complete week to complete DM2, but i was stuck at a riddle where i had to cast a ZO spell on a minion behind a pit for 5 days.
i bought the game the minute it came to the shop and i really hoped for several weeks or even month of playing. im really disappointed.
but, it has some cool places:
the tree-level (nice fighting)
the maps (but not the minions and minion maps)
the place where some javas jump around in the castle
the thief which activates fireballs
the graveyard for its atmosphere
the shops and the money system in general
the objects like tables and barrels
the possibility to put staffs/rings/amulets in the "moneybag" (leftdown in inventory) and gain their +mana effects this way
beeing able to attack with 2 weapons per fighter
the display of weapons/armor's power/protection and the charge of wands

what i didnt like:
the minions chasing me the whole time
hunting a flying chest
the damn zo-spell riddle
the lightnings
the new magic system requiring to press an extra button
the blue super-weapon (forgot name) is gone for good when beeing stolen by thieves/axemen - very annoying

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”