DMute newbie problem.WTF?

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
isamu
Apprentice

DMute newbie problem.WTF?

Post by isamu »

How's it goin guys? Anyways I gotta small problem with DMute. When I boot it up and select open file, it doesn't recocnize any of my Amiga DM or CSB roms. In fact the icons aren't even there. This might be a stupid question but is DMute for the PC or the Amiga DM games? I even put my Amiga csb save file in the same directory as DMute but it still doesn't show the icon under "open file". What can I do? Please don't tell me I have to convert my Amiga roms to PC format in order for DMute to "see" them(sweat, shiver).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DMute newbie problem.WTF?

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, here goes with an explanation.

When you run an emulated game for the Amiga, you're using ADF files. ADF simply stands for Amiga Disk File. An ADF file is a single file that contains an IMAGE of the original floppy disk. The original floppy disk may have contained hundreds of separate files, but you can't see these in the ADF unless you have a full Amiga emulated on your computer or you use a utility like ADFOpus, which allows you to view an ADF file, and 'rip' the individual files from it. Think of ADFs as ZIP files of Amiga floppy disks - this is the ONLY practical way of playing emulated Amiga games because the PC floppy drive CANNOT read Amiga floppy disks.

Your CSBSAVE.ADF is also an image of the Amiga floppy disk. If you were to use ADFOpus to view it, you would see that it contains a few files. One of these is called CSBGAME.DAT, and this is what you want to load into DMUTE. Of course, DMUTE cannot load ADF files - it hasn't a clue what they are. So you need a utility to get your save game out of the ADF file, then load it into DMUTE to make your changes, then you need to put the save game file back INTO the ADF so that you can play it again. Whew!

See if you can find ADFOpus on the net and try messing around with it. If you really don't have any luck send me a Winzipped version of your CSB save game ADF, and I will extract the save game file for you so that you can mess about with it in DMUTE.

Cheers
isamu
Apprentice

ADFOpus and DMute

Post by isamu »

O.K. here's the deal. I got ADFOpus and loaded the my DMSAVEadf into it. It shows all the separate files including "DMSAVE.BAK" and "DMSAVE.DAT". I'm assuming all I need to do now is load *just* the DMSAVE.DAT part of the file into DMute using AdfOpus. I'm assuming it's the "DMSAVE.DAT" file that I'm supposed to load into DMute correct? But how do I do it? It won't allow me to copy and paste it into DMute. It just lets me rename, delete, or make a new directory. What are the next steps/actions to take?
theadder
Journeyman

Post by theadder »

ADFOpus is like Windows explorer. You have already worked out how to open the ADF file, which should appear in a new window.
You also have an explorer style interface which you can navigate into any directory on your hard drive. Just drag and drop a file from the ADF file you opened into a directory of your hard drive. Then the file is on your PC and can be edited with DMute. After editing, you'll have to reverse the process to drag the file from your hard drive into the ADF file.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Posting to bring the message back up the board... <i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub17.ezboard.com/ugambit37.show ... ambit37</A> at: 12/1/00 11:35:52 am
</i>

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”