My 0.02$ on RTC.....

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Toneduder
Neophyte

My 0.02$ on RTC.....

Post by Toneduder »

Firstly I would like to say that I think RTC is major league cool, and thanks to George for the effort, it is definately appreciated, and thanks to all of you that keep the spirit of DM alive....now on to some points I have with RTC...

I have been playing DM since it came out in 1987, and on one day played it for over 13 hours(!), I have completed it 7 times. I have only just started RTC (v0.09) and completed the first few levels, and have these constructive criticisms (everything else is spot-on)

Food levels go down faster if a character has been using magic before sleeping and other strenuous stuff, I dont know if this is implemented in RTC, but food levels go down slightly too fast in RTC, slow it by 15-20%

Mana regain by sleeping is slightly too slow, up it by 10%

Stamina is usually the last to replenish fully by sleeping, it usually drops by 30-40% while mana is restoring (unless stamina is already very low), then starts to increase again.

I found the 2nd level far too easy, especially mummies, even with reincarnated characters, using nothing but fighting and no breaks to train up levels. In the original game under the same circumstances, my party would get badly mauled by the last 6 mummies before going down to level 3, and would have to hit and run. In RTC I just walked through, one thrown pebble killed each mummy and I strolled to the next level. I understand that a numeric value in the init file can scale the difficulty, but according to George the default 0 is for 'normal' difficulty and compared to the original is still far too easy.

Stepping under doors that are trying to close only caused 2-3 points of damage per hit on my newly reincarnated party, if this is the case, then the whole tactic of dropping doors on monsters is less effective than the original, up this damage by at least 4-5 times.

And lastly, what has happened to injuries? I have only just started playing, but the door incident above should have injured (bandage icon on head) at least one member of the party, has this feature been omitted. Drop down a pit and I challenge anybody not to have a member have injured legs, and have their carrying/running capacity affected!

Sorry for the long post everyone, and these observations are purely meant as constructive, if George wishes to ignore them or inplement his own features then who am I to grumble when RTC is already a quality piece of code....

Any feedback from anyone?

Regards to all,

Toneduder.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: My 0.02$ on RTC.....

Post by beowuuf »

George actually has a forum for RTC at http://pub50.ezboard.com/breturntochaos. If you go there you'll see that no niggle is too small...well, for people to report, anyway...don't know how George feels : )

The food thing is known, but not many people have been able to quantify a speed difference like you, so it's just bounced around from too slow to too fast with major change.
The major bug just now is weapon damage when thrown, simply don't do it because it's waaaaaay too powerful, but otherwise I think you'll find it about the same difficulty on 0

Apart from the door damage/injuries, which I don't think anyone has picked up on (i agree, doors cause about 8 - 10 damage to a party per hit) these are all noticed but not really quantified too - you should repost this in the bugs section!

As for injuries, they have also been back and forth - the newest version you will find injuries actually more common that DM in level 3 onwards, so the door damage not injuring is a screaming omission...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Toneduder
Neophyte

Re: My 0.02$ on RTC.....

Post by Toneduder »

lol, sorry all, as Beowuuf graciously pointed out, this was in the wrong forum...I have copied and pasted this topic to the correct forum now. :wink:

Toneduder. <i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub17.ezboard.com/utoneduder.sho ... neduder</A> at: 5/19/01 11:01:49 pm
</i>