Francis?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zyx
DSA Master

Francis?

Post by Zyx »

Francis made an apparition on Drake's board!
It's great to know you're still alive! 8-)
Was it years ago, you had a very interesting dungeon
(more exactly, 4). Did you finish them?
Francis
Novice

Francis?

Post by Francis »

Oh yes, computers, message boards, etc...

I haven't had very convenient access to these things for the past while (yes, years!) and consequently have not been able to keep up with events much. I'm very glad to see that all this DM stuff is still developing.

Because so much of what I had intended to do with my dungeon involved pushing the limits of DM and creating new effects, and since RTC is being developed with such things in mind - new graphics and so on - I've decided, even though I should soon be having convenient computer access once again, not to continue development of my dungeon until the RTC editor is available. No matter how long it takes, it will be something different. These dungeons we make are opportunities to express ourselves artistically and even philosophically. It's my conviction that, just like so-called fairy tales (v. Bruno Bettelheim), all of us who have grown up with fantasy-type computer games of lasting quality have had our psyches filled with a sense of metaphysical understanding that we mostly don't know how to express except in terms of our own versions of these games. Since I've been studying the metaphysics of different cultures for some time now and am continuing to do so in a more organized manner, I have an emerging vision of the correspondences between different systems in such a way that I believe I can apply it in a more practical form that will work like a dream of deeper than usual psychological significance. In other words, I'm not planning to challenge anyone in terms of long, repetitive combat or ever more difficult puzzles - though monsters and puzzles are certainly necessary, since they're so widespread in collective (un)consciousness - but instead an adventure with unexpected developments and definitely more than one way to "win". But this will take some time yet - due to very unrelated issues of living on this planet. So if I don't respond again for a long time, it won't be because I've died - and just in case, I'll make sure that someone posts a message for me if I do. :)

Btw, has Dan Durgan rematerialized since the shutdown of his site?
Zyx
DSA Master

wow

Post by Zyx »

I completely agree with your point of view, and have been thinking something very similar since years, though I never expressed it as well as you did (at least, in english). I read B. Bettelheim in my studies of psychology (BTW, he stole the work of a student!), it's very interesting. And as I've been a DM in paper RPG for 15 years, I am fully aware how much the fantasy is a way to express our visions of the cosmos. But games like DM or even RTC are yet too limited, in my own feeling, to allow full grown cosmovisions. I still prefer pen and paper RPG...
sucinum
Pal Master

dm

Post by sucinum »

wow, im a AD&D DM, too, and i really enjoy it.
i also like to play more free games like nethack or Diablo 1/2, but dungeon master has an unique atmosphere, or maybe its only the first computer rpg i played (in fact, it was my first computer game, i was 6 years when i got it, and 9, when i finally finished it).
im a big fantasy fan, and i dream of creating an own computer rpg, at least the concept, and maybe some firm will make a game of that. i created my own pen&paper rpg, when i was 12, and it wasnt THAT bad :)