Troubles with renamed char portraits (textmute)

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Troubles with renamed char portraits (textmute)

Post by Guest »

Has anyone tried using textmute to rename the charactors then create a new dungeon and put the portraits of the newly renamed chars in the 'hall of champions'? I used the blank dungeon.dat and created an area on level 0 (hall of champions) where I wanted my newly renamed charactors portraits to be, but when I put the mirror and text pad in then hex edit the 3rd and 4th bytes to the proper values, I notice a lot of extra text written after the champions' name. I believe this to be a bug, but maybe I don't know what I'm doing yet.
I can re-create this bug by using the blank dungeon.dat and making a hallway at 1,2,0 then at 1,3,0 I create a 3x3 room from 1,3,0 to 3,5,0. On the wall at 4,4,0 I add a mirror and hex edit the 3rd and 4th bytes to 0 2 for Azizi then temporarily create a wall at 3,4,0 and add a wall text and hex edit the 3rd byte on the tile to 30 and hex edit the wall text 3rd and 4th byte to FF 6 then left click on tile at 3,4,0 to finish the portrait. I then save the dungeon.dat and play it. when I click on the portait the charactor looks pretty much god-like but after taking a step or two it takes 13,xxx damage then after another couple of steps they die.
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? and if so in which program? TextMute or DMute? (BTW sorry for this being so long) heheh
Zyx
DSA Master

bug

Post by Zyx »

I think it's a bug from textmute. I'll check it. I remember an possible issue where textmute wouldn't work, but as nobody reported it, I stopped worrying about it and I forgot it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Troubles with renamed char portraits

Post by beowuuf »

You've said mirror and pad values the wrong way round...mirror hex is ff 6, and pad text is 1 2...but I'm guessing you just wrote it wrong, as I don't think this would work the way you said it.

Umm, it does sound like a corrupted text though. You could have negative stamina, weight or vitality despite the god-like oither stats and it kills you! Personally, I'd change the texts only after you use them, not before, just to make sure it all works.
I've created a freaky powerful character using the gibberish scroll text in CSB4win that was stable, so it is possible to have rubbish text that fools the game enough to not to crash it.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!

Post by Guest »

oops... heheh you're right sorry about that... well shoot. if it IS a bug do you have any idea when it might get fixed if at all? I've been making portraits of custom champions and one of these days I'm hoping there will be a utility that will allow me to change the default pics of the champions. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) I've been designing a dungeon from scratch that was based on an AD&D module I created a few years back, and I wanted my charactors to be the champions. Ohwell I suppose it's not that big of a deal if I can't do it.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

maybe u should use rtc. dmute is about to die out...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No it's not! I still love DMute : )
Love RTC too of course.

Can't help you with the text thing, keep an eye out for DMEdit, it's a new editor that might be able to edit the problem pad one day. If you need it sooner, people know the raw hex format (sphenx, zyx), and could point you in the direction of the bytes you would need to change back (if you compare them to the original Azizi hex in a normal dungeon). As for the portrait thing, keep an eye on zyx's graphreader programme (available through the DME forums at http://dmwebshare.free.fr, in the misc uploads section)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!

Post by Guest »

As much as I wish that was the only thing left for me to finish my dungeon, it isn't. My kid got on the computer without permission and deleted a few directories including all my dungeon master stuff. So I'm re-creating 5 months of work (not so many hours as it may seem) and backing it up on my server. I suppose I'll have to do some more reading about RTC. I only downloaded it and played the original dungeon master for a little bit before I decided it wasn't up to par with the original. If that is where the future of DM is, and where the support will be then I can adjust. This is afterall a microsoft dominant era. heheh.

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”