Why DM is still the best RPG ever

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Guest

Why DM is still the best RPG ever

Post by +Guest »

I think it is because of the easy handling of the game, allowing to play with mouse and arrowkeys only, and the good usage of the right mouse button. The fighting and magic system is also great, and i love that i can train my wizard to a great fighter and vice versa. I think these are the points that make DM to one of the best games ever.

Oh, i almost forgot: you havent to read that much texts at DM, 2 words tell you what to do.
+Tony

Re: Why DM is still the best RPG ever

Post by +Tony »

Agreed!
Another thing to mention is the fact that when your characters gain levels, the results (as far as is possible) are implemented in the 'real world'. Anyone remember Dungeon Darts as an example? (high level ninjas need only apply) Try and throw 3 darts in a row through the grating of a portcullis from at least 2 steps away!
Also, stronger characters throw heavy objects further and with more damage than weaker...
This sort of depth put DM & co light years ahead of the competition, and even now I have not seen this level of immersion implemented to this level since! Gives you a great feeling (well did me) having your top character (A senior master of all the arts) strut down down a corridor knowing he's a bad ass ;) lol sweet memories.....
my 0.02$..
Tony.
twinfalls
Journeyman

Post by twinfalls »

I agree with tony....I want to add that, I believe, the immersion feeling comes too, from a very simple fact: DM uses a large screen area to display the world view. Try switching from Bloodwitch, Black crypt, Knightmare, Eye of the Beholder, Captive... to DM, you'll see how good it feels to see a large view, with big monsters. Try Stonekeep... great full screen view. Total immersion is what I look for in a good game. Is 'n it what games are for ? Dreams that look real ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think the fact that it could be played on a very simple level, yet if you wanted to go deeper you found it did have so many more levels to it.

You could happily play a hack/slash/magic shooting game, but if you wanted to try and intelligently train or use weapons and magic, then this was actually effective, and there are so many small intelligent details to notice.
+Fredrik Olsson

Post by +Fredrik Olsson »

And the great places: The six tests at level 3, the treasure caverns, the riddle room, the tombs of the old kings. I believe one of my greatest memories of playing DM was when I first found the stairs behind the skelleton key wall on level eaight and counted the levels as I descended. When I reached the end I had counted to fourteen and then I understood how actualy HUGE the game is.

And the replayability, I do not believe anyone have found all the secrets the first time around. And there is tons of ways to actually play; well balanced champions, fighters/magicians, fighter only ;-)