Tool for quick'n'dirty dungeon layout

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Tool for quick'n'dirty dungeon layout

Post by Gambit37 »

Would anyone find this tool useful?:

http://www.dmcodex.com/layout.htm

I knocked it up quickly to build dungeon layouts for RTC. It's slow to create the actual grid, especially anything over 32x32, but it's quite quick to click and edit for making passageways. You can't do anything other than generate the layout; type in how big you want the grid into the width and height boxes, then click Create. (Long pause--that's javascript for you). You can then click a wall to make it a floor and vice versa. When you're ready, click Export TXT to dump the data into the textarea -- you can then copy this into your RTC TXT file.

I wanted something that could build grids bigger than DMUTE and that would allow me to see the coordinates of each tile; this'll do for now. If anyone likes it or finds it useful, I'll consider tidying it up. Only tested on IE6 so far....
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

kick ass gambit, nice bit of coding mate.

an online DMute ... :)
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How does it work for you? Is it *really* slow??
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well it's either slower than I care to wait for or it crashed on me. Sounds like a neat Idea though.

moo

actually, I just tried it again with a smaller number.. it worked.. but still slow.
Last edited by cowsmanaut on Sat May 31, 2003 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, its' slow... it's actually quite annoying that the only 'programming' I know is in languages and/or tools that are inherently slow. If I want to do anything like this seriously, I'm definitely going to have to learn a proper programming language...

Out of interest, what size grid did you specify and what speed is your machine?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

tried 100x100 first then 50x50

800 mhrz 256megs ram
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Figures.. oh well, another idea bites the dust!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I don't think it's really a bad idea, I just think it needs to do more to warrant the wait. You can do that dungeon layout in notepad, even work it out on graph paper first if you like. It's not too much more work. being that it's just 1's and 0's. plus can you not get that and more from Dmute?

either way, it's kinda cool and you should be happy with pulling that much off, not being a programer yourself. It's still an acomplishment.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, but why use paper when you can do it on the computer? Plus, it's tricky when you're working in TXT files to know which square is at which coordinates; this tool gets around that 'cos if you print it out, you get the coordinates printed too.

Ironicaly, I made it to build grids bigger than DMute, but it's not very fast at grids higher than 64x64, well on my machine anyway: AMD 1900XP 512Mb RAM.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Gambit37 wrote:Yep, its' slow... it's actually quite annoying that the only 'programming' I know is in languages and/or tools that are inherently slow.
Andyboy_UK points at www.blitzbasic.com

This is going to look like pimpage and it is a little bit, I dont normally post adverts for products on other people's sites but im sure the chief will back me up on this one.

nice and fast and simple to learn (a sinch if you know basic or VB already).

Blitzplus = Windows GUI and 2D Graphics commands
Blitz3D = 2d and 3d Commands (no windows GUI - yet)

It is what I do all my graphics/game related programming in and you can check out how powerful it is over at www.blitzcoder.com

I could knock up a windows app for this in no time at all (in blitz and source code provided) if you like gambit?
Regards,

Andy
Unlucky_Mule
Novice

Post by Unlucky_Mule »

It worked well for me. I did not find it slow at all!

BTW, I am running a 1.8 GHz P4-M laptop with 512MB and Netscape 7.0.

UM
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Funny that -- I tried it in Netscape too and it's almost instant; it's IE that takes ages to draw the screen. Another reason to give Microsoft browsers a wide berth...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, in IE 6 it's sooooooooo slooooooooooooooow