Problem with constant Thunderstorm!

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rubjonny
Apprentice

Problem with constant Thunderstorm!

Post by rubjonny »

Hello there, I just got DM2 fully working with sound and music in Virtual PC, and I'm having problems outside in that I'm constantly in the middle of a thunderstorm, and I mean CONSTANTLY.

I have gained access to the second area with the lightning key, and ever since I started playing this storm has been going on, and I ket struck and killed by lightning about 6 times every 30mins I play, and its starting to p**s me off!!

I could try restarting the game I suppose, but I don't really want to have to start again, please help!!
Cheers,

John Newman
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re:

Post by Ian Clark »

That's pretty odd. I never had that problem, I saw plenty of trees struck by lightning but was never struck myself. Maybe you're better off restarting.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Can you post a link to this Virtual PC application, is it a free app or shareware/commercial, is it fast?

I love these sort of apps :)
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If you hang around too long, you're more likely to get hit by lightning. I imagine you're taking your time? Get moving, and you should find it's not a problem. The rain does let up from time to time...
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I remember it being an almost constant thunderstorm outside in DM2. That was a while back admittedly.
Regards,

Andy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's not a constant thnderstorm - the sky is always cloudy, but from time to time the clouds grow and darken a great deal and it starts raining...this often gets much worse until it's a raging storm, and I'd seen trees and occasionally the ground get struck by lightning. I only ever got struck once, and I think it was right after I stepped forward and then BLAM dead :(. But only onec have I ever been struck.
I woud really LOVE to play DM2 again (never finished it the first time, was too paranoid about getting too far into the keep and therefore causing the strong Attack Minions rather than the weak ones to come after me), but I wish there was a way to get the sound and music working properly...can't play that game without sound, it gives it no atmosphere and you can't hear the mobs coming :(.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I still think it's quite odd, I never got struck :? (I even contemplated trying to get struck to see what happened...one sad afternoon years ago)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

@Ameena:

Grab an amiga emulator like
http://www.winuae.com
and Amiga in a box
http://www.aiab.com
and get a kickstart rom, that will play the amiga version.

You can check out getting it running in Bochs, if you have drivers for DOS soundcards and some old dos disks, this way works as well

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=21006

Alternativley, if you have vMware or Virtual PC (now Microsoft) you can get it running on these virtual systems.

GOod luck
Regards,

Andy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Um. I'll get my dad to check it out as I have no clue what that means. So does that mean that our version of DM2 is useless now then? I didn't know it came out on Amiga...thought Amiga was ancient old. We had DM2 running on our first PC back in probably about 1995 or something, and that was the only time it worked fine <sob>.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I think it just means if you have problems setting up DM2 on PC or getting the sound right (neither of which I have achieved so far *g*), the Amiga emulation might be a possibility. But if memory servers me, Andyboy wrote a long message on how to install DM2 in some thread - did not find it just now but I'm sure it's still here somewhere...

Regards, PitD
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

A quick anecdote about the lightning: about halfway through the game, I was returning through the hedges for some reason, and the rain started. One of the dwarves that steals your items (DM2's outdoor version of the giggler) appeared and started yanking items out of my hands as I was fighting either a thicket demon or wolves (there were so many of both in the game, I forget which was the opponent in any particular instance). I finally killed off the other enemies as the thunderstorm hit full force. Turning to confront the nasty dwarf, lightning plunged down and blew him to Kingdom Come. I laughed so hard at that... :lol:

...until lightning struck me a moment later and slew the whole party. :oops:

Yes, from then on I ran any time it started raining hard...

Seeker19

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”