FORUMS BACK ON LINE: PLEASE READ FOR INFORMATION

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Personally I don't mind the two being seperate just now...just my opinion : )
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I have ten forums on the Encyclopaedia. Here are what I plan to do if everybody agrees:

1) Five 'games' forums: DM, CSB, DM2, TQ and DMN -> can already be merged in existing forums here.

2) One 'Clone' and one 'Tool' forums: CSBwin and DMBuild -> Can be moved here. That would add two forums here, but the total number of forums (here and there) would remain the same.

3) Two upload forums: these will stay at the encyclopaedia unless there is an easy way to add upload support to phpbb. But as it is not a builtin feature, I would not do it as it would certainly make future upgrades of the forum software a lot harder or even impossible.

4) One "General discussion" forum that I would keep at the encyclopaedia for site specific topics (updates, comments from visitors, etc...).

What do you think of that?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

it is possible for me to set up uploads. The only thing with that is I need to figure out.. or perhaps the wonderfull gambit will do it.. is to determine a way to limit size. I know from expeience that if you have open uploads that you get peopel uploading movies and cracked software and music etc etc etc. Not only is all of that illegal but it also kills space and bandwidth.

So they would need to have a size limit and a login to upload. so before something like that is set up I need to make sure I'm secure.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Having done some investigation, there's at least two options for supporting uploads in phpBB.

1) Install a complex MOD
2) wait for v2.2 to be released which will contain this MOD out of the box.

I've read a lot of the new features of phpBB v2.2 and it looks very tasty indeed. Amongst other things it includes subforums, a new templating system that is more user friendly and easier to modify, loads of user/permissions/security fixes and features etc. etc.

There's no expected release date, so it might be months before it's released. It might be worth merging Christophe's forums here before upgrading to 2.2, then when 2.2 is released we can create an Uploads forum and copy over all the files from the old forum.

Now that I have lots of hacked templates, I don't relish the prospect of installing the MOD at this point: too much stuff could break...

For more info try here:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74505

For a beta preview of v2.2, go here:
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/index.php?sid=
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I agree with you Gambit. Let us merge the 'normal' forums here and once phpbb v2.2 is out we will think of merging the upload forums here too. I think that is the easier way to do things.

I don't know for phpbb v2.2, but in phorum, I can limit the size of uploaded files, as well as the file types allowed. I think it will be similar or even better with phpbb.
Configuring security for uploads (both in the forum software and at the filesystem/web server level) is something that should be carefully planned and studied because we would risk losing the entire forum database if some stupid guy tries to show us how 'smart' he is.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

agreed.. have enough probs with the servers as is.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

when you gonna start? :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Here's the list of features in the Attachment MOD. I understand that most if not all of this will be incorporated into phpBBv2.2. I think it will suffice for our needs! :-)

Features:
- Full Permissions System
You are able to set Download Permissions, Upload Permissions and Extension Groups per Forum Permissions.
- Able to add comments to Attachments
- Automatic Deletion of Attachments if Posts got deleted (manual Delete, pruning, within the Moderator Control Panel or the User Attachment Control Panel)
- Editing of existing Attachments.
Able to Delete/Add/Change Comment and Update Attachments while editing Posts.
- even if the local path for Attachments is changed in admin, all previous posted attachments will be displayed correctly
- category support - special behaviour instead of just presenting a link
- Special Behaviour on Images:
Thumbnail Support
Image Link Presentation depending on Dimensions
Inline Images
- Stream Files directly within Posts. Supported Types:
aif, aifc, aiff, asf, asx, au, avi, ivf, m3u, mid, midi, mlv, mp2, mp3, mp2v, mpa, mpe, mpeg, mpg, mpv2, rmi, snd, wav, wax, wm, wma, wmx, wmv, wvx
- Play Flash Files within Posts. Support for compressed Flash MX Files.
- little image definable for displaying in front of Attachments and Threads containing Attachments.
Able to define an Image for Forum View and for every Extension Group.
- Maximum Upload Size definable.
Maximum Upload Size per Extension Group definable.
- Multiple attachments in one post
maximum number of attachments per post definable
- multiple attachments in one PM
maximum number of attachments per PM definable
- Attachment Quotas:
- Overall Attachment Quota
- User Attachment Quotas
- Group Attachment Quotas
- Quotas are definable for PM Boxes and Upload
- download counter
- Download Method selectable for every Extension Group
This is very useful for Datatypes needing a 'real' link, for example real media files
- three Upload Methods:
- Normal Upload
- FTP Upload
- FTP Remote Upload
- Able to display Attachments in Preview Window
- Able to display Attachments in Review Window
- User Attachment Control Panel
- Attachment Limit Box within Private Message Box
- Attachment Upload Stats in Users Profile

- Special Admin Modules:
- Manage Forbidden Extensions
- Manage allowed Extensions (Delete, Add, Assign new group)
- Manage Extension Groups
- Manage Special Categories
- Synchronize Attachments
- Delete Shadow Attachments (those Attachments not deleted with posts, for what reason ever)
- a complete Attachment Control Panel (with an integrated search feature)
- much more. To sum it up, a fully customizable Attachment Feature for your Board.

- Language Packs:
for up-to-date Language Packs and Informations please visit http://www.opentools.de/attach_mod/
or the Language Pack Forum at http://www.opentools.de/board
(if someone is willing to translate the Attachment Mod to other Languages, please contact me at Opentools.de)

- database-support: mysql, mysql4, mssql, mssql-odbc, postgresql
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hey George! I just noticed, that your www.ragingmole.com still points to the old ezboard forum. I think you should change that, when you have a moment of time to do so.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Back to ranks:

a) Congratulations Gambit on 1300
b) Here were the Lone Wolf ranks for Lunever:
Novice, Intuite, Doan, Acolyte, Initiate, Aspirant, Guardian, Warmarn/Journeyman, Savant, Master

Kai Master, Kai Master Senior, Kai Master Superior, Primate, Tutelary, Principalin, Mentora, Scion-kai, Archmaster, Kai Grand Master
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Lunever gets a personal system now or just an answer to complete the memory ? ;o)

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Whew. these titles stir up faint memories. Must be ages since I played/read Lone Wolf...
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.