original graphics

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gavin
Neophyte

original graphics

Post by Gavin »

hello,

does anyone know where i can get a complete set of the original graphics from dm / csb?

ie... maybe a web site, or a program that can rip them from the graphics.dat file....?

thanks, Gavin
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: original graphics

Post by ChristopheF »

Go to http://enzofr.free.fr/, and to the "Download" "Uploaded files" section, and download Decode DM v5.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*cough* graphreader *cough*

graphreader does the same as DM decode, but also for csb versions and dm2, and dm2 midi files

on the tools forum section
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

The link doesn't work. It's just a 404 html not found error. :(
I've had no luck with graphreader so I'm hoping that Decode DM will actually work. will it decode Amiga graphics from an ADF file?
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Doh. Forget that. I found it. It's a link in the Downloads section (File Shares) that I originally tried. It takes you to a 404 error.
Gavin
Neophyte

Post by Gavin »

thanks guys,

i've tried out both decode dm and graphreader now. they both do the trick :)

tho i prefer the way the files from decode dm come out with proper file names.

i tried graphreader with the graphics.dat from win csb, and it kind of half worked, but loads of the images were just garbage. any ideas?

another thing is.... neither program seems to output the "side attack" graphics for the monsters. eg what happens when a creature attacks you and you run round it's side so you're viewing it attacking from side on. or am i remembering wrongly that these graphics ever existed?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

the graphreader doesn't extract yet all the images from the win CSB graphics.dat (the atari version) because I don't known yet all the formats!
It should work thoroughly for an Amiga version (adf).

The side attack doesn't exists. Freeze a monster when it's attacking you and look at it from the side, it's not attacking. Look at it from the front, it's stil attacking.
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

crazy monsters....
Uther

Post by Uther »

I wrote the DecodeDM programs a while ago

at the time I didn't know how the graphics were stored in the graphics.dat file so my program searches and dumps anything that looks like it could be a graphic.

The problem with this is it that in the CSB dfat file it finds some patterns that look like a graphic file but aren't, hence some garbage.

I believe all the graphics are dumped and the garbage ones are just false hits, so there is nothing missing.

The programs are fairly quick and dirty, I just wanted the graphics for the now defunct DMClone project, but if anyone wants the source to improve the programs please email me, (I don't look here very often)

Uther