Killing the Shop Guards

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
LordNemesis0

Killing the Shop Guards

Post by LordNemesis0 »

This may not matter to anyone else, but I somehow killed one of the shop guards. My characters were not Archmasters, actually they were Craftsman to Artisan. He did manage to kill two of my characters. Also afterwards the shopkeeper would not come out and sell or buy anything.

Now if you read in the walkthrough, the author says it is impossible to kill the guards even with edited characters. This interests me, maybe enemies level up as you do.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sundeep Nandra

Re: Killing the Shop Guards

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

Guards are easy to kill..especially if your characters have that weapon (sorry, forgot the name of it) that has the 'Sever' option. I've managed to kill all of them quite simply...it's quicker if you hit them rather than casting fireballs. I'm amused by what your walkthrough says...maybe enemies level up as you do, but it's always possible to kill monsters...especially those as when I was bored I'd go and kill the lot of them and then load my game back. Once you have killed one of the guards, however, the shopkeeper will never again come out. It's the shopkeeper I've never managed to kill...as you don't get the chance for enough fireballs before he stands behind the wall (and once you hit him he, again, won't ever come out again for trade). Maybe your walkthrough means it is impossible to kill the shopkeepers.......
Farid

Post by Farid »

To Sundeep Nandra.

I don't agree.
I managed to kill the shopkeeper.
When you kill him you should be able to see a little dark cloud wich is used for displaying a death of a character in the game.
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

Hmm...how did you manage to kill the shopkeeper???
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I have also been able to kill a shopkeeper in the DOS version of the game (the only version I have ever played) and after a while another one would appear. Also, when I killed the shop guards, the shopkeeper would go behind his wall but would later come out and still do business. There was nothing impressive that happened when I killed him, he just fell back and the ashes cloud appeared. I had master wizards for all of my characters at the time so I had them all prepare fire balls. I used the spiral staff and I had one or two magic boxes available. I would freeze the shopkeeper on the side without the fireball trigger, launch all four top level fireballs, get one or two more prepared and refreeze the shopkeeper and continue to cast fire balls. The whole thing happened suddenly and I was so shocked at killing one that I hadn't noticed how many times it was necessary to freeze him. Slightly off the subject, you can create a Carry Minion in the DOS version by casting ZO EW ROS which will pick up any items on the ground where you created it. It will follow you anywhere you go, staying one square diagonal from the party. Cast the spell again to have it drop the items. I never used it for carrying objects. I usually had one follow me to distract some of the monsters I came across, like axemen, and Dragoth.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Another thing shopkeepers will do is dodge behind the wall if you throw objects at them...then come back out, pick them up, and throw them at you! This also stops them from going for the switch for a while. Didn't manage to kill the shopkeeper though (hje kept getting to the switch til i got bored). I too have killed all the guards with a middlish party (stand at the doorways for darting attacks, but the sword with the double attack and vorpax are enough).
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
phlux

Post by phlux »

one thing i thought was kind of funny;
toss a (\) bomb over the table, the shop keep will throw it in your face with a nice boom

one question; what does the fire shields spell do? it appears to cast a group fire shield, it does inflict damage though, as i rammed a shop guard with the shield cast and he attacked me without me hitting him
James Lloyd

Post by James Lloyd »

heh, i guess we could do with some nice arc bolts from dm java, they go round corners and usually pick up living beings and go for them, quite useful if you wanted to kill the shopkeepers when they are behind the wall.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I've only recently playing the game about 2 days ago. When I saw the character stats to be lower than CSB, I decided to erm.. well tweak my characters a little. I played the game for a bit, found the RA key and a scroll that said I needed to get four pieces of a key from the Clans. I mistook the shopkeepers for Clan people and decided to kill them. They took a while to die and did some major damage, but in the end killed all of them, heh... Alas.. I got the wrong guys :-)
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

hehe...I was on the verge of doing the same thing when I first played played it upon its release.
James Lloyd

Post by James Lloyd »

i guess we can never be too sure about these sort of things, but still. just keep exploring until you find the right solution to your goal. ;-)

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”