Dungeon Master II Amiga is FIXED

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Steve B

Dungeon Master II Amiga is FIXED

Post by Steve B »

That's right folks. I've managed to convince Toni Wilen one of the WinUAE developers to look into the door opening bug in WinUAE. I love DMII and was getting desperate because the same bug has been in UAE for over 3 years. Anyway to cut a long story short Toni has only gone and fixed the bug!! It was a bug in the 68020 emulation code. I patched WinUAE with the code and can tell you all that Dungeon Master II now works 100% perfectly on WinUAE. In other words those fecking doors finally open. :) It's going to be in the next release of WinUAE (0.8.17r3) but if you can't wait that long just post your e-mail address and I'll mail it to you. The time has come to play Dungeon Master II on WinUAE!

Steve B
Josh Harding

Re: Dungeon Master II Amiga is FIXED

Post by Josh Harding »

Sweet!

I loved playing DM1 on my Amiga, but couldn't play DM2 for lack of AGA :( This week, I stumbled across this site and started playing the DOS version, but without sound since my PC doesn't have any ISA slots. Playing in Windows will be much more convenient and it'll be nice to have sound!

--The Amigo
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Many Thanks to Steve B who sent me the fixed WinUAE version for Dungeon Master II.

A tip for Windows XP users: this version of WinUAE does not work with the new Windows XP GUI (graphical user interface).
Workaround: right click the WinUAE executable, and in the "Compatibility" tab, check "Disable visual themes".

Get the latest version of WinUAE to play the game.
FoxBat

Trouble

Post by FoxBat »

I am running a PII 400 MHz under Windows XP. I installed and ran DMII Amiga with the latest version of WinUAE, everything worked OK except that the doors wouldn't open (presumably pressing a button on the one door or a key in the other should open it?). I then tried running the special DMII-patched WinUAE, but it ran very slowly. The intro slowed to a crawl as did moving around in the dungeons. And for all of that, the doors still won't open :/

I did manage to get the PC version w/sound using your nifty boot disk... I do wonder, is there some reason why many prefer the Amiga version?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Trouble

Post by ChristopheF »

The special version of WinUAE runs fine for me, and doors do open... sorry, I can't help you. Maybe you'll have to wait for the Release 3 which will incorporate the fix for DM2.

Personnaly, I prefer the PC version which has far better graphics in my opinion. I think that for old games like that, many people have sentimental reasons instead of rational ones, which is perfectly understandable.
Arthur Clifton

Post by Arthur Clifton »

Please send me the fix so I too can open them @%$*&#*&@ doors.

Thanks

:)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just click on the link in Christophe's posting 3 above...
ZdC

Post by ZdC »

But why oh why would you bother with playing the game under WinUAE when it runs so nicely on an AGA Amiga? I've just started playing it yesterday for the first time ever on my Amiga 1200 and I like it so far. After all these years I finally finished Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back (both on my A1200), and now it's time for The Legend of Skullkeep :) I also like the fact that the game runs without any problems on it(Blizzard PPC 603e+ with SCSI and 68040, with 32MB RAM). It's a gaming bliss!
FoxBat

Amiga?

Post by FoxBat »

>>But why oh why would you bother with playing the game under WinUAE when it runs so nicely on an AGA Amiga?

Because I grew up playing DM/CSB on Atari ST, never owned an Amiga...
FoxBat

Got it Fixed

Post by FoxBat »

I went back to Win 98 SE (bleh on XP :P ), but my problem with going-extremely-slow and doors still not opening with the patched WinUAE was still present. However, I fixed this by going to the CPU tab and using "fastest possible" instead of the "in between CPU/Chipset" settings. I think this may have to be tailored to each individual computer's needs, so fiddle with this setting if something isn't working for you.

Now I do see why some prefer the Amiga version though... the graphics just "feel" closer to original DM. They aren't as good as DM, but at least they aren't cartoons like in the PC version...

And, I like how I can run it outside of DOS mode! So thanks for the fix, hope this tip helps someone else.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”