Solution to DM2 on PC Install Problems (DM2.exe mi

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Nik Heisterueber

Solution to DM2 on PC Install Problems (DM2.exe mi

Post by Nik Heisterueber »

Hi there,

Christophe (by the way: my compliments - TERRIFIC site!!!) is absolutely right: The 22.1 MB zip file on the "games setup guide" page is indeed not a ready-to-use version but a version for installing the game and therefore does NOT run by itself properly.

Here is how it worked (at least for me...):
1. Beeing in Windows, extract the zip-file with WinZip to your hard disc, preferably to the root directory (or still better, as I did: in an empty partition on my HD. I think it is even possible to burn it onto a CD if you want to share the game).
2. Leave Windows for the DOS level
3. Go into the partition or directory where the extracted files are
4. Type "install.exe" and hit the enter key.
5. Follow the installation routine and install the files to your hard disc in the directory which is recommended by the install program (default is "c:" and "intrplay/skullkeep"). You can rename it or move the files later to another directory without loss of function.
6. Start "Setup" to configure your sound options (did not work in my case but thats for other reasons...)

After ending the setup you will find in the skullkeep directory all the files which were packed in the original zip file PLUS some new ones, e.g. the much needed DM2.EXE file!!!

Just write "DM2" press enter and off you go! Have fun!

Nik

PS: I have some severe sound problems because I have no sound card at all (just on board sound) but I will search help for this on this site tomorrow or later. Maybe someone can help me with it...
Ian

Re: Solution to DM2 on PC Install Problems (DM2.ex

Post by Ian »

Hi Nik, thanks for that. I tried your method and it did work - but not quite how you described it, like there's no DM2.exe in my version, only a DM2.bat, is that what you meant? And you didn't mention using the patch file. I tried running the game without it but it wouldn't run until I used the patch. And as I said earlier, the Registration prompt goes away once you edit the 'Eregcard.ini' to read 4 1 4 instead of 1 0 1.

Thanks Christophe, for the great site, wish I could find something like this for Flashback. Anyone here into that great Delphine game? Mail me if you want to talk about it, I've got it working ALMOST right, just some annoying sound glitches still.
Cheers, Ian.
lindian@xtra.co.nz
Nik

Re: Solution to DM2 on PC Install Problems (DM2.ex

Post by Nik »

Hi Ian, you are right on both issues: DM2 is *.bat not *.exe and I applied the patch file prior to trying the game. Glad it worked for you too.
Nik
Kay-Uwe Graw

Re: Solution to DM2 on PC Install Problems (DM2.exe mi

Post by Kay-Uwe Graw »

In DOS you can use the command subst to create a virtual drive because
if you unpack the zipfile on your drive you can't install it on the same drive.
Therefore before installing type

subst g: c:\

which creates a virtual drive g and then in the install prompt type g as the
drive to install to.

Kay
Blutrch

Post by Blutrch »

where can i find Dungeon Master II: The Legend Of Skullkeep in french or if don't exist in french in english ??
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

On the Dungeon Master II Downloads page, you can get the english version, and there is a link to the french version as well.
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

I have Windows ME and I finally got rid of the "not enough memory in exec" message. I figured I got it to work when I saw the intro run for the first time but then it stops at the end of the animation and says "bye!" What the F#$%. Any suggestions?
Zelmo

Post by Zelmo »

Regarding the electronic registration, perhaps the safest and simplest way to keep it from popping up is to edit the "dm2.bat" and "rem" out the line that calls up the eregcard.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Okay, I'm about to give up. I've tried all this stuff and whenever I use the DM2.bat the Interplay logo shows up and then I'm left with a blank screen. When you edit DM2.bat, what is it supposed to say exactly in order to get DM2 to run? I have tried so many things for so many years and still can't get this game to run, and I have two copies of it. Sound setup works so the problem isn't there, although for years I couldn't even save my sound setup because it wouldn't create a folder or something. Am I doing something else wrong?
Zelmo

Post by Zelmo »

The DM2.BAT should have the following line:
IBMIOP SKULL.EXE +VS
It may also include a line calling up the electronic registration, but as I said before, that line can be remarked or removed.
On a side note, the other day I tried running the game after booting from the book disk provided on the downloads page. The sound setup worked great, but after the Interplay logo my computer reboots. It's not done this before, and I wonder if it has to do with my recent switch to an Athlon system, with a new motherboard an all.
Has anyone else had the game reboot their machine? Anyone know why, or how to fix it?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The next site update in a few days will include an updated bootdisk with updated SB Live drivers for DOS (version 4.05). Maybe this will help?
Personnally, I have no issue with either driver (version 4.00 or 4.05) on my Atlhon / Via chipset computer.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

DM2.BAT says what it should. I can't seem to access DM2 from dos with out installing it every time and the installation process doesn't recognize that the intrplay\skulkeep folder already exists so I don't get something like: this file already exists, replace it? Which means I can't keep the edited version of DM2.BAT or Eragcard.ini, so every time I try to load the game from dos, I still get the registration which wont let me run the game. Any time I try to load DM2 in dos with C:\WINDOWS\INTRPLAY\SKULKEEP, I get the infamous "Bad command or file name" problem. Can someone help me out?
Nekojin

Post by Nekojin »

I have the same problem that Christopher mentioned several posts ago. I get to the Interplay logo, running in DOS mode, the system apparently freezes.

Any suggestions?

Nekojin =^_^=
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Sorry I can't email you Watz, my email isn't working at the moment.
I chose VGA graphics for installation. After everything was installed, I opened the DM2.bat and removed the line that mentioned Eregcard (right click on DM2.bat and click on edit). Once that was done I tested it to see if the registration popped up. I don't remember if it still did or not (it shouldn't) so if it does then you can edit the Eregcard.ini to read counts=414. For sound setup, even though sound test was okay, the game wouldn't run if I selected a sound card. However, it will run with music if you select it to do so. Then I downloaded the ctmouse stuff from this site and put the files in my Skulkeep folder. Reset the computer for Dos mode (just going to the Dos prompt won't do the trick). then type at the C prompt (or which ever one it is for you) cd\intrplay\skullkeep (enter)
then type ctmouse.com or ctmousep.com (enter) (which ever one applies)
then type DM2 (enter)
I hope it works for you. (lol) I'm not a computer person so the PII 350 info just goes right over my head.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”