dm2 problems - running game

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Worax

Post by Worax »

I have done evrything as mentioned in the Dungeon Master 2 Downolad page and after changing the irq settings in the boot disk I managed to make the sound in sound setup work. However, when I launch the game, I see the Interplay logo for a while and aft6er that the computer reboots. It's possible that there's not enough EMS memory, but I'm not 100% sure 'cause I'm no expert...

If anybody knows how to solve this problem, I'd be greatful.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Re: dm2 problems - running game

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Hello Worax!

I do have the exact problem, and I did also change the IRQ in the bootdisk. I got an Idea that I havent had time to test yet: the problem might be that we stole an irq that was needed to another thing in the computer and when that is not found tha computer reboots.
Well...as I said I havent tested that idea yet, but I will. If you try it, please let me know the result, I will try to check it over here and will give you information about my results.

I hope that someone knows how to solve the problem. I do use a Soundblaster Live! 1024, and it should work with the disk (other games work perfectly f.e. Eob1-3, Lands of Lore etc, with more soundeffects than ever before). But the DM2 downfall made me litterary "almost burst into tears". But I will keep you updated of my progresses and downfall, and hope that we can solve this together.

Good luck!

/Daniel (Sweden)
Worax

Post by Worax »

Daniel,

Thanks for support! It's possible that the irq uses something different, I'll try to use different configurations. However, the problem may be the EMS memory, even few old games need a lot of this (almost every old game seemed to work on my computers, but not always with sound.), but I doubt that, because there's no error messages. Anyway, I'll try to find something out, and if I succeed I will post something here.

I hope this will work out!
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Hello Worex!!

I must ask: What is EMS memory (Extra Memory Support???).

When I used the disk with other games I had more sounds than ever before, so the disk must have released a lot of low memory. I guess that EMS memory isnt low memory??? or the high memory???

I understand that this question might seem stupid, but my computer knowledge is very basic and limited.

Thanks in advance!

/Daniel (Sweden)
Worax

Post by Worax »

EMS is expanded memory, or maybe extended... don't know really, but it's something that old games use... I'm not too good at this either and I don't really want to tell you crap...

anyway, I have an idea what may be causing the problems, and if I find anything I'll tell you... I won't surrender easily :)
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Sound good Worax!

I have tried changeing the irq labels on the disk since my last message, just to see if it works, but nothing good to report yet! Sorry to say!

But I will also keep the work up. According to my computer my EMS memory was 32 or 42 megs (dont remember), but it sounded high to me.

Good luck!

/Daniel (Sweden)
Worax

Post by Worax »

Greetings.

I have tried a few things:

1. Increased conventional and ems memory on my current PC. Some older games (e.g. Might And Magic 3) work now, but DM 2 doesn't work still.

2. I've tried running the game on my older computer, it has a Sound Blaster AWE 64, and all old games run on it. I've made another boot disk on that one, configured everything, even tried playing the game with no sound, but it doesn't work too!

Both PCs have win 98 (first version 100% on older Pc, I'm not sure about the newer). So, it seems that we have no luck, or there's something bugged with the game, but that would be strange (I tried three versions on bmy newer PC) or there's some other problem nobody knows how to solve...\

I'll try to do some other things, and I'll inform you if I find out anything else.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Hello Worax!

I have detected a hardware conflict in my computer. Please read my other ongoing topic "To: Randolf Boots Jr". There you can see my results and maybe see if you have similar problems. I tried to make the problem public by starting a topic about our problem (which you already might have read I guess). Well...but this system conflict might be my problem...its worth checking in to it. Randolf gives a description on how to test if there is a conflict.

Good luck !

Yours Sincerely / Daniel (Sweden)

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”