Why is the board vanishing all the time? I'll tell you ..

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Why is the board vanishing all the time? I'll tell you ..

Post by cowsmanaut »

you may have noticed that the board goes down for a few mins to an hour all day lately. This is because someone is apparently hammering the server with requests untill it goes down with a "denial of service".

The people who own the server have assured us that they are working to resolve the service problem and get the little blighter that's been doing it.

if it's not resolved soon I will simply change servers and be done with it. No links will change as it will still be Dungeon-master.com so don't worry.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

*Cough* Is it really that simple? Presumably when you say change servers, you mean that your hosting company can replicate the site to another physical machine?

If not, and it has to be set up again, you'll need to set up the mySQL database and pull across a copy of the current data into the correctly named database with the relevant passwords that I previously set up. Could be a fiddly and annoying job....?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

actually I mean hosting service as well.. so if there are issues with passwords and what not then that obviously will need to be fixed as well.. however, I would need to know what those were
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Goodness, this didn't last long! I hope you don't have to change hosts.

I you do, just make sure they offer mySQL and PHP. As long as it's available, you won't need any passwords other than the one the new hosting company give you. Once you have that, I can set up the database again. Pain though: the database is too big to upload in one go, so I have to copy it in small chunks of SQL commands... takes about an hour each time I have to do it, which is why I'd rather not have to do it again.... :(
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well I hope it doesn't happen either and they resolve this. I don't want to have the forums going down all the time though either so it's up to them.

If they can't fix it within say a week, I think that it's going to be an issue for me and I'm going to look at annother service. I promise you they will have php and mysql support.

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

You can probably un-stick this post... seems there were no problems since quite a while ;o)

Regards, PitD