dm2 on XP

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Madcrazy986

dm2 on XP

Post by Madcrazy986 »

I cant seem to get it to work, i can make a dos startup disk, but when i restart with it, i cant go anywhere but the A: drive no matter what.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Re: dm2 on XP

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

The problem might be that you dont have an english keyboard, if you do have an european keyboard you can use "skift+ö" to write ":" (I think it was so)

Good Luck!

/Daniel
Madcrazy986

Post by Madcrazy986 »

nope thats not the prob
RICHARD

Post by RICHARD »

i know what your problem is you have your hard drive formated in NFTS
(it just means that your computer store infomation differntly so you dont have to defrag as often) but dos doesnt like that format so it wont let you go on any drive formated in that way

how to fix...............?
well their is a program that clams it can read NFTS formated drives in dos but you cant save any thing (the program is "Easy DOS Boot Disc Creator")
for more info search for (you guessed it) Easy DOS Boot Disc Creator
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Greetings FOLKS!

The is a program called "Acronics OS-selector" that can change the formats on the disk (I have the program myself), but I knew very little of it. But A friend of my used the program to change the NFTS on one of my older computers to FAT32 instead (much better), but I dont know if there is the possibility to change without formating the hard drive.

Good Luck!

/Daniel (Sweden)
RICHARD

Post by RICHARD »

if you are going to format your hard drive any way, you may as well just stick in your your windows xp cd it has the stuff to make a NFTS hard drive a Fat32 one ( but you have to format you hd)
Randolf Boots Jr
Novice

Post by Randolf Boots Jr »

NO NO NO!! Don't do that, it's on the WIN 98 disk a FAT to FAT32 convertor.
RICHARD

Post by RICHARD »

-they are not going to fat16 to fat32 they are trying to go from nfts to fat32 which is imposable with out formating
Randolf Boots Jr
Novice

Post by Randolf Boots Jr »

Well i gas your right.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you aren't goign to format your HD, can't you get a small HD somewhere, second hand, and install DM onto that so you don't need to care about your main drive? (This is assuming you use the boot disk to play DM2 instead)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Or you can find a copy of Partition Magic, which can partition your hard-disks without altering the data it already contains. I had to do this with my Win2k backup drive (NTFS). I created a one-gig FAT32 partition specifically so I could boot to MS-DOS and play DM2. :)

Whatever you do, DON'T search a P2P network for a copy of Partition Magic 7 or 8, because that's ILLEGAL and I cannot condone such activity. Kazaa Lite especially is the wrong place to look because you're GUARANTEED to find it, and that would be very wrong.
andyboy_uk

There is a way :)

Post by andyboy_uk »

Dungeon Master II on Windows XP
--------------------------------------------

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=21006
MarshKid

Post by MarshKid »

I cant seem to get this game to run on my computer which has Fat32 formatted hardrive and is running windows Xp pro. can someone give me some step by step instructions on how to get this to run because i really miss playing this wonderful game.
Joshua Mage

Post by Joshua Mage »

I haven't played DM2 since the early '90's. I'm in the same situation as MarshKid and would like someone to give some step by step instructions to get DM2 running on Windows XP. I've got a spare drive to dedicate games like DM etc.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

The french cd version can still be found here (as pointed out in the DMII section): http://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf-r ... ?genre=jdr

Regards, PitD
RICHARD

Post by RICHARD »

all you have to do to run dm2 on xp is

NOTE: the beta steps are on for people who have nfts formated hard drives

beta step. if you are useing a nfts formated hard drive you will need to buy
"PartitionMagic" (or you can download it off kazaa but that would be brakeing the law ;) )

hint: you can check if you are useing a nfts formated hard drive if you right click on your hard drive icon

beta step A. after you have "PartitionMagic" and have installed it ,onpen PartitionMagic and click on "creat a new Partition" it should be eazy form their ( just rember to set the file system to fat32)

beta step B. after you have restarted your computer move dm2 into your new drive also dont forget to move the mouse driver into your new drive(you can download bolth dm2 and the mouse driver off this web site)then skip step one

1.download dm2 and the mouse drives off this website(if you have not done so all ready) unzip them in to an easy to find folder aka "C:\dm2\"

2. creat a boot disk
2A. put a floppy disk in your computer right click on the A: drive icon (or what ever drive your floppy disk is) then click format, then a window will pop up all you do in this window is click on the box that says "creat an ms-dos start up disk"and then click on the start button
2B. wait for the disk to finish... ;)

3.restart your computer with the boot disk in your floppy drive then goto the folder wher you unziped dm2 if you followed my advice all you have to do is tyoe"c:\" then press <enter> then type "cd dm2" and press <enter>
3A. then install your mouse drive buy typeing "CTMOUSEP"

4.type "dm2" press <enter> and play the game

final note most sound cards dont work with dm2 however most cards that will work even though they are not made by sound baster and they have their owen dos drivers ( and i will do a faq one of thes days on how to install dos drives and where to fins\d them on your computer (but because their are so many differnt sound cards it will take a fare bit of time when i deside to do it)
vasa

tried... and failed

Post by vasa »

I got partition magic and created a new partition in the FAT32 format. When I boot win xp into dos with the boot disk it will still not allow me to transfer out of the A:\ area into my new F:\ drive.

What am I doing wrong?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Because dos cannot recognise NTFS partitions, the F: drive as it appears in windows (as long as it is the only FAT partition), should now be c:

Try changing to C:\

Cheers
Regards,

Andy
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

We should probably collect all the information on that subject including an FAQ in one document. Seems that this is something most people including myself have severe problems with getting it to work including all the details as sound drivers etc. Thoguhts ?

Regards, PitD