No sound! (DM2)

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zoot

No sound! (DM2)

Post by Zoot »

I found a copy of Skullkeep in a charity shop yesterday and got it running beautifully under Win 98 on the ol' P2 300, but it's completely silent. I'm using a soundblaster compatible card and the DOS boot from Encylopaedia (well done that man!) but no combination of anything seems to get the sound to work. I'm certain I'm not the only one to have this problem and DM without sound effects is a pain in the neck.

What am I doing wrong, fellas?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I found that full sound for me only worked with a soundblaster or soundblaster pro. Any of the higher cards like the 64 or Live worked correctly or even sometimes at all.

picky sound drivers with that one it seems.. far too finicky.

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

DM2 is still the game with most problems for the community in general it seems - be it setup, sound or just starting. A lot of text has already been written on that subject - but there seems to be no definite overall solution - yet. Or does somebody have it in a drawer? :wink:

Regards, PitD
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

If I can't have sound then I'll settle for a hack that lets you tie that thieving orange-bearded little bastard leprechaun to a bus and wrench out his toenails with a pair of pliers.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've not tried it with DM2, but VDM Sound might work. It's a pure Windows emulator for old Soundblaster cards. Works great with Tomb Raider 1 and Glidos, perhaps DM2 might work too? I don't have the inclination to find out, but someone else might...

http://ntvdm.cjb.net/
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've heard the easiest solution was to load DM2 for amiga or sega in an emu and then you get sound easily. :)
Zoot

Post by Zoot »

cowsmanaut wrote:I've heard the easiest solution was to load DM2 for amiga or sega in an emu and then you get sound easily. :)
Yeah, but that'd be cheating.

VDMSound really doesn't seem to like Win98 very much. Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm going to break out the old Frankenstein box on this one. IT WILL BE SOLVED, damn its eyes.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Has anyone successfully tried the VM yet where you can simulate old OS ? I heard it took a lot of harddisk space but otherwise worked well ... ?

Regards, PitD
Jiffy

No Sound

Post by Jiffy »

I have a P4 on a Intel D850MV with built in sound.
I tried using VDMSound and SoundFX with no luck. The game works fine on my p200's sb16 with no dos drivers or even a set blaster.
frustrated.
Anyone have any success with VDMsound or SoundFX?
Is there something else out there that will work?
Anyone know much about what the game is looking for? ie what resources it wants to use?

Thanks!