kids entertainment?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

kids entertainment?

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/114203/o ... 03op1.html

Our local paper.. with a little comment on todays youth and the simple fact that far too many parents are unaware of what their kids are watching or playing and put no limits on what they can do.

Negligence in parenting is increasing and it really freaks me out. People who take rearing children as a task they would rather leave to someone else. In this case it's the general media.

kids in grade 3 being allowed to play a game like grand theft auto simply makes me feel more than just a little ill.

moo
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

How many kids have you raised successfully?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

hmm I had a two pager that delved into my experience with children of all ages my arguments based on my own rearing and the rearing of others in my family. Responsibilities and the things you need to give up in order to have a child etc etc etc. quite in depth and then fuzz face suggested that you were simply asking.

So rather than flap my arms and rant.. I ask why it is you are asking.

Is it because you feel I must have a few children before I can have something valid to offer? Or is it simple curiosity.

moo
Big-J-Q
Adept

Post by Big-J-Q »

Well, I was on the 5th grade when I played Doom every day, several hours a day. I was already familiar with Wolfenstein 3-D at that time, and I'd think I started playing it somewhere on the 3rd grade and I don't think neither of those games affected me in any negative way. Not that I'm entirely healthy person, I suffer from low self-esteem but I think those are not related. In addition I watched violent movies that are not allowed for children.

So, it doesn't make me feel ill when I think a young person plays GTA and like. However what makes me feel a bit concerned is that parents really seem not to be aware of their offsprings' doings. Some people really could be affected by not-so-pretty entertainment and parents should be the ones to decide whether their kids can safely enjoy movies and games (and even music in some cases).

Which brings me to one of my favorite (but in this case little off-topicish) subjects; Censoring things are not a solution for kids' anxiety. I really hate the concept of censoring and banning movies and games. Do other people have to suffer from other peoples' anxiety? For example, I would really love to see erotic programmes on TV, like the ones they showed when I was kid (Very clear memory of that happening :D). Instead we have tons of shows that air after midnight and present eccentric people introducing their eccentric habits.

EDIT: So much text, so little point. I guess I wanted to say that from my point of view, the dangers of games and such are exagerrated. At least here the real problem, IMO, is a picture media (commercials, "nice (unviolent)" programmes) gives to kids which results in distorted image of sexuality and the world in general. I mean, I think something is wrong when 10 year old girls are in hurry to have sex and dress like supermodels.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

cowsmanaut says:
fuzz face suggested that you were simply asking.
Fuzz face must be a clever fellow.

I is hard to imagine anyone disagreeing with the notion that
the current TV offerings and video games are bad for children.
I consider them bad for anyone. We watch the BBC news
and the Packer games. We play Super Mario and Dragon Warrior.

One thing I have noticed is that people who have reared several
children stop being critical of other's parenting. Parenting is
very much a lesson in survival. I was just wondering whether
you were speaking as a player in this game or as a spectator.
I had a hunch I knew the answer.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, Doom is killing demons and alien marines.. it has no direct corelation to reality. GTA has a direct corelation to reality. It's based on real current crimes and it glorifies them. Some of the events are rather twisted in my opinion. One might also note it was made here in BC so seeing as I live here and work in this industry I should be supporting it.. however I think it's based entirely on shock value.. as well the creators claim no responsibility for their content as it's a matter of "players choice" to go pick up a prostitue and kill her. Though they did code it to reward the player for doing that.

you must understand that I'm not talking about the past here as much as I am the future. We seem to keep raising the bar. more sex and violence are immdiately available to youth through regular media and many parents are unware simply becuase from their experience.. cartoons and games have been for children.

In the past we had less of this sort of thing to be concerned with. So it's understandable that todays parent might be unaware of such things. I still think it's not a very good excuse though. Since we all know what assumptions can do... :P

I grant to you that children may always find a way of investigating it however by having to go around the parents back and being carefull not to get caught doing it establishes to them that it's wrong. While they are still making themselves aware of it they at least know that there is something bad about the content for them at that age or otherwise.

My worry comes when the parent out of ignorance grants the child to do what they want.. this tells the child there is nothing wrong with the content. So while they pull innocent people out of their cars as they scream please no don't hurt me or pick up hookers and shoot them in this game what is it they are learning at the tender young age.. or if they happen to get a "cartoon" which here is available right on the shelves that contains animated violent killings and rape and the parent walks off because they don't want to watch a "kids show".. well...

So to me it's a matter of negligence. Both on the part of the stores and rental places as well as parents.. and even to some degree the creators as they could make it more apparent on the cover about the content. However mainly the store which should know the content of anything they carry and should be making those renting it aware of the content especially with those things that have so rapidly changed to more violetn content.. and to parents who should be paying more close attention to the content of the things their children are partaking of.

I guess as well there is a strong requirement to be more open and communicative with your child.. even about those more "taboo" topics. You have to figrue the child will find out eventually.. the question is who do you want to explain it to them?

moo (rant rant rant) ;)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

oops.. you creeped in ahead of me :)

My experience with parenting comes from my own parents actions. My mother was a single mother for most of my growing years and she made as much time with me as she could. Aided in my education both moral and otherwise and was always open about topic. She made sure she knew what I was watching or reading.. she knew my friends and who their parents were etc.

For my experience with children much of my young adolecence was spent babysitting. I took a course on babysitting that involved not just CPR but also communication with chidren and regualr child care. It was a certificate course and I learned a lot. I helped with my younger cousins from time to time as well as those others I baby sat for. When I got older I took annother course for peer councellor and that was something I did a little while helping those not only younger than I but even those close to my own age. I listened to problems and offered support to those I could. Now I teach at a college and deal with mostly young adults.. my diplamacy skills are tested there every day. :) So you can see I've spent a good deal of time with newborns,young chidren, and adolcents, as well as young adults. I simply, myself, have chosen not to yet have children as even though I might be a good father mentally and emotionally, I'm not yet ready financially or situationally.

as for your conlcusion that parents become less critical of other parents.. I've found the opposite. Perhaps it simply depends on whom and where. :)

moo
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

cowsmanaut says:
it simply depends
AMEN. That is why it is so difficult to put
myself in someone else's shoes. It depends
on things I have not experienced.

As the good doctor Berelli (sp??) says:
"I wish you better luck in your third war."