How to get shooters to shoot constantly

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
andyboy_uk
On Master

How to get shooters to shoot constantly

Post by andyboy_uk »

<original post from WolfHeart>

So I have no clue what's making my dungeon smeg up, but maybe I made some kind of typo somewhere...dunno...

What I have been doing is saving my txt file to a couple backup folders. its a little hassle but it saves my butt when I blow up something. Its also sweet that when you do blow something up and you cant figure out why at the worst you can copy the old one back over the screwed one and your ready to go.

I am down to level 3 in my from scratch dungeon but now I am finding that I need to learn more about the basics. For instance I am trying to have fireballs in one area of my dungeon, that fire off continually. I cant seem to do it they run and shut off after a bit and then I cant make them go more. I thought it was in the use of the RELAY now it appears I dont know the purpose of that or how it works either hehe. I need docs

<end snip>

I think the entry is

WALLITEM_SHOOTER <x> <y> <level> TYPE=(SINGLE or DOUBLE) SHOOTS=(DUNGEON_SPELL_FIREBALL) STRENGTH=(100)

Although STRENGTH=(100) is pretty strong I imagine ;)
Regards,

Andy
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Do the same strengths apply as in CSBwin? In that case 240 was the maximum I think...

Regards, PitD
WolfHeart
Apprentice

Post by WolfHeart »

andyboy_uk wrote:I think the entry is

WALLITEM_SHOOTER <x> <y> <level> TYPE=(SINGLE or DOUBLE) SHOOTS=(DUNGEON_SPELL_FIREBALL) STRENGTH=(100)

Although STRENGTH=(100) is pretty strong I imagine ;)
Yup thats how you place it, I figured that out but not how to make it continue to fire off over and over on its own once a trigger has activated it What does a relay do? I have viewed code from DM_Original.text and CSB.txt but can seem to figure it's purpose out
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

AFAIK as soon as its placed it will start shooting.

A RELAY will perform an ACTION (i.e. Activate/Deactivate) on an Item (by ID number) with an optional DELAY=(seconds) before doing so.

Try this

000 WALLITEM_SHOOTER <x> <y> <level> TYPE=(DOUBLE) SHOOTS=(DUNGEON_SPELL_FIREBALL) STRENGTH=(100) STATE=(ACTIVE)

:)
Last edited by andyboy_uk on Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Use a floor trigger, switch, button, whatever to trigger a RELAY. The relay should then trigger the SHOOTER and ITSELF if you want to keep the shooter going...

Check out the Librasulus trap on the DM hall of champions for an example
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ahhh, I see. Thats how the delay works for say a fireball every 3 seconds or something.. What if hte object is active constantly though. Is there a time it takes to shoot or will it be continuous (as in you cant walk through it?

/me is going to do WALLITEM_SHOOTERS tonight after finishing the trigger. Im also going to add more help text to the objects and properties.

Cheers Gambit.
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Continuous unless you deactivate it again...
WolfHeart
Apprentice

Post by WolfHeart »

Gambit37 wrote:Continuous unless you deactivate it again...
Well first let me thank you guys for the help making the shooters keep fireing after the first time. I missed the relay activating it's self. I was trying to get it to activate the shooter more than once. when you posted about telling it to activate it's self I understood what I was doing wrong. There is a limit on the amount of times it will fire though its not endless. I set mine for 100 charges and it lasted a good while but it finally did stop though. It fire plenty enough times for my purpose though which is just to have a party run the gauntlet so to speak to get something and then go back out. I might even make a teleporter with the on and over option so if it looks like it might be to hard to go in and out. I have set the str of the fireball low but I am putting this near the first level so the party will still be pretty weak at this point. This part is just meant to teach them what to expect later and how to get thru it.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

FYI the strength of shooters is measured as a percentage. 100 is therefore the maximum strength and good do a good job of wiping any new party out in one go :-)

For a starting level, I would try a strength of ~25 or something!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Thank you, does that also go for the strength of a door, for example? In percentage numbers ?

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

WolfHeart mentioned that even with a CHARGE of 100, the shooters do stop on their own eventually.

How is then possible to create a permanent shooter? George?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Something else - in DM spells, and shooters with limited ranges, burned themselves out
However you could have infinite range shooters, so that the shooter effect was as strong whizzing around a whole level three times as it was comign out of the barrel
How does RTC handle shooters - does it allow for both?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

The strength of a shooter merely defines the strength of the thing it sheets - nothing to do with the frequency (set by triggers / relays) or duration (set by charge) of shooting.

For spells, the strength of the spell not only determines damage but also range (this is true for all spells, not just ones that come out of shooters). I can't remember the numbers off-hand for how far each strength flies, but 100 is a special case and will fly for ever. Spells with a lesser strength will always eventually fizzle out.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So the fact that wolfheart's 'continuous' shooter doesn't fire continuously - does he needs to add a 'charge=-1' in his definition to have it never stop firing?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Aha! The "100 is a special case" is the bit of the puzzle we needed to know! Cheers George!